Thursday, October 8, 2015

Conference Campout

A few weeks before General Conference, Kevin began talking about camping out at his parents house.  He started the tradition last October, which was Brooke's first campout.  We camped again in April, which was even more fun that the first time since Brooke was older and seemed super excited about the whole prospect of sleeping in a tent. I wasn't going to sleep outside in April since I was in my first trimester and needed to pee a million times during the night.  Well, I ended up camping out anyway because I didn't want to miss out on the fun.  But this time, at 8 months pregnant, I was pretty sure I would sleep in the house.  But again, I decided against it.  We had our queen aerobed, so it wasn't like I was totally roughing it, but still, pregnancy and sleep are not always compatible.  Brooke had a really hard time falling asleep, and didn't actually fall asleep till close to 11:30.  I woke up at 2 am, and was awake until about 5:30.  I had brought my new kindle (I anticipated the sleeplessness), but I was really trying to get some rest, so I just laid there.  Although I was exhausted, it was also really precious to have those quiet moments laying next to my girl.  
She was sleeping peacefully, and I studied her precious little facial features.  She probably would have been totally creeped out if she woke up and saw me in her face, haha. Brooke woke up about 8, and I went into the house to get her milk.  
Kinley was already up (Her and Uncle Jeff had headed into the house about 2:30 am), so she came outside with me to read books with Brooke and Kevin.
We had set up the tents on Saturday afternoon, which the little girls loved. Jerry smoked a ham, and we enjoyed a delicious dinner after the afternoon Conference session.  That night, we roasted marshmallows, which was a lot of fun.  Brooke mostly wanted to eat chocolate and lick the unfrosted marshmallows, haha.  When I pointed out that her and Kinley had matching shirts, Brooke actually initiated a picture.  I know, hard to believe!!  But she said, "Mama, take my picture".   
Sunday morning the girls had the cutest tea party together, but Brooke quickly got cranky.  I guess that's what happens when she doesn't have a normal night's sleep.  She was a crying mess for a while, but eventually settled down and was super mellow during the morning session.  I put her down for a nap around 2, and went to nap myself because I felt like death.  She woke up 45 minutes later, and was crying and crying, which is super abnormal for her.  We just ate lots of chocolate and snuggled up for conference together.  As soon as it was over, we headed home and went to bed early.

I am positive that Kevin will want to camp again in April, but with a new baby, we'll see if I'll join them or not :) Maybe it will be a father-daughter campout instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment