Saturday, November 15, 2014

Mothering

"Mothers, cherish that role that is so uniquely yours and for which heaven itself sends angels to watch over you and your little ones. 
Yours is the work of salvation, and therefore you will be
 magnified, compensated, made more than you are, better than you are, 
and better than you have ever been. You are doing terrifically well. 
The very fact that you have been given such a responsibility is 
everlasting evidence of the trust your Father in Heaven has in you. 
He is blessing you and He will bless you, even—no, especially—when your days
 and your nights may be the most challenging. Rely on Him. Rely on Him heavily. Rely on Him forever. And “press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope.”
Jeffrey R. Holland

I read this quote on a blog one morning, and it so completely resonated with me.  I am so grateful to be a mother and to have the opportunity to stay home with Brooke.  It honestly amazes me to watch her learn and grow.  She changes daily, and is such a little sponge, learning new skills, picking up words that I say, and facial expressions that I use.  I love watching her little face as she tries to figure things out, request a toy/snack/drink, or do something that she knows she is not supposed to do (like throwing food on the floor, or standing up on the couch).  She is amazing, and I was grateful for this quote that reminded me of my role and the trust Heavenly Father has in me.  And the fact that I can rely on him, and rely on him heavily.

The quote kept coming back to me all day, and I had the distinct impression that I should share it on Facebook.  I don't generally post status updates, but after an hour or more of those impressions, I posted the quote.  Several church friends commented that they really needed that reminder, but what amazed me, was the non-church members that commented, liked, and shared my post.  One friend from High School shared the post a week later and commented that even though she had read the quote a week earlier, she could not get it out of her head.

That was the effect it had on me as well, and there is something about the way Elder Holland wrote those words that resonated with more than just me :) We are told to share goodness on the internet, and I was happy to have listened to a small impression. 

No comments:

Post a Comment