Wednesday, November 18, 2015

sneak-peak at prairie lights

As we were out on the driveway selling the truck, I noticed that the Hawkins family was at the park.  The kids were wearing their green Prairie Light Sneak Peak shirts, which I assumed was because we had just received them that day.  After the truck was gone, we walked over to the park to say hello.  Kevin had been talking with Ryan, and when he came over to Joanna and I, he asked if I knew that the walk was that night.  Um, what?? I thought it was the Saturday AFTER Thanksgiving, not the Saturday BEFORE.  I felt like an idiot, and was so glad that we saw the Hawkins at the park or else we would have totally missed the event.  And I would have been ticked after paying $30 in entry fees for the race/walk. It was a freezing day, and we hesitated about whether or not we should even take Colby out in the frigid weather.  In the end, I figured that since he would be in the wrap, he would probably be the warmest one!  (Which he was.)

We quickly went inside, had some dinner, and bundled up to get ready for the event.  Brooke had on multiple pairs or pants, and a few shirts.  I could barely get my jacket on over the wrap, but we were warm, so that's all that mattered.  As we were walking over to the starting point, we ran into our group of church friends who signed up together.  We started out with Brooke in the stroller, but she quickly realized that she would rather be walking.  Since walking is a bit slower with a toddler, we ended up getting separated from the group, and being on our own. It was actually really nice just to have time together as a family.   I was really excited for the Christmas season with Brooke since she was at an age where she understood what was going on and could anticipate some of the fun events we had to look forward to. 
Brooke loved all the lights, and particularly the huge tunnel of lights.  We had gone to Prairie Lights the last two years with her, but both times we drove through the light display.  It was a totally different experience walking through, and I actually preferred it that way.  This might be a new tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment