Monday, December 28, 2015

christmas eve

I absolutely loved everything about Christmas Eve this year.  We celebrated at home, just the four of us, and it couldn't have been more perfect.  Kevin had to work a few hours in the morning, so I took the kids to the park where we met up with the Hawkins family.  Once Kevin was home, he prepared some tin foil dinners to cook in the smoker.  The weather was beautiful, so Brooke joined him outside with a ton of toys.   And some chocolate licorice :)
After our meal, and as we were waiting for the sugar cookie dough to chill, we did bath time for the kiddos.  Dressed in their Christmas jammies, they were ready to make cookies for Santa.  We explained to Brooke that Santa would be visiting our house, so we needed to leave him a plate of cookies.  We didn't do that last year because I did't think she really understood the concept.  This year, she was super excited.  As I was getting the dough ready, I looked over to see Brooke setting up what looked like a picnic. I asked what she was doing, and she said, "Making a picnic for Santa", as if that was the only logical thing to do, haha.  I love that little girl.  Notice the gold ornament "centerpiece" :)  And the whole spread was on a Christmas towel, no less.  I like the way she thinks!
She rolled out the dough, while Colby watched.  This picture really embodies what I loved about the evening.  It was such a simple night, but it was full of special moments that I never want to forget.  I hope that Kevin and I can create traditions with our kids, and fill our home with the spirit of the season.
 It was fun to see the excitement in Brooke's eyes.  As we waited for the cookies to cool, we read a few children's books about Christmas and tried to emphasize the true meaning of the holiday.
We then decorated the cookies.  Some of us (Brooke) used more sprinkles than others, haha.  I helped her prepare a plate to leave out for Santa, and we even added a few carrots for the reindeer.
With our stockings hung, Kevin put together Brooke's stroller and I set out the other gifts from Santa. In no time, we were done, and were nestled in our beds.
We were anxious for Christmas morning with our babies...

No comments:

Post a Comment