Tuesday, January 7, 2020

the work of childhood

Watching my children at the park reminds me that the work of childhood is PLAY!  I find so much joy watching them run around together, creating new games, and using their creative minds to extend the play for hours. I recently read a quote (by Mr. Rogers) that said, "Play is often talked about as if it is a relief from serious learning. But for children, play IS serious learning.  Play is really the work of childhood."  AMEN!!  They will spend the rest of their life in school and doing structured tasks, so I want to allow for this...
We met Tracy and Nora at the park one beautiful January day, and it literally couldn't have been a more perfect day.  The sun was shining and the kids were loving the freedom to play and imagine with each other.  They built all sorts of things in the sand, and when we went near the pond, they found sticks and went from pretending to fish, to making potions with grass and leaves. The best part was that I had lots of time to just sit and chat in the glorious sunshine with Tracy.  Best friends are seriously some of life's greatest blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment