Monday, October 28, 2019

green meadows petting farm

I feel like i'm starting every post stating that "this is a favorite fall tradition", but Green Meadows is definitely right up there with the rest!  I love fall traditions because they are low key, low stress, and don't involve any preparation or clean-up.  You show up, enjoy the time together, and head home :)

Last year, I picked Brooke up early from school since they close at 4 PM daily. I planned on doing the same thing this year, especially since they moved locations and were now in Dallas rather than right at Lynn Creek Park.  Brooke was thrilled when I picked her up, but I was somewhat worried about the weather.  My weather app showed no rain, but the sky looked pretty dark and moody. But the next few days definitely showed rain, so this was our only opportunity.  

As we climbed out of the car, I felt tiny sprinkles on my head.  The place was empty, so I figured we would just make the most of it. You can't skip out on traditions!! We paid the ridiculous admission price and headed straight to the corn bins.  This was a new addition this year and the kids were anxious to check them out. 
As you can see, it was a big hit.  One other little girl (probably 2 years old) was there with her mom, so of course Brooke made friends with her. Brooke and Colby made corn angels, buried themselves, and were just silly together. 
The corn bins were right next to the goat enclosures, so it made sense to head there next.  One of the employees gave us each a cup of feed and told us which animals we could feed before walking away.  Colby was a little hesitant at first, but Brooke jumped right in and fed them all!
As I stood watching the kids, a goat came up behind me.  It totally freaked me out because the goats were supposed to be INSIDE the gates, but this guy had somehow escaped.  I tried to coax him back towards the gate with my cup of feed, but once we were at the gate, all the other goats were trying to get the feed. I was trying to open the gate, push the goat inside, and make sure the other goats didn't escape.  All while it was sprinkling, haha.  I was about to give up when I heard a guy yell from across the lot, "It's fine, they know where to go.  We're just getting a kick out of watching you try."  The farm employee was just standing there with another dude laughing at me.  Thanks a lot, guys.  I was trying to do a good deed and instead they were mocking me ;/

But at least the kids had the chance to be up close and personal with one of the goats. 
We checked out the enormous pig...
The miniature donkeys...
Took a hay ride...
Touched the bunnies...
Said hi to the cows...
Watched this mama lick her nostrils, which was SO funny...
Checked out the hairstyle on this guy...
Posed with the beautiful Jersey cow...
Then took pics in the cut-out signs before heading BACK to the corn bins.
I had to take this close-up one of Brooke because she had a major snaggletooth.  That thing was SO loose, and she had commented that it had been bothering her all day. 
We stayed until closing time, when I had one of the farm hands take a few pictures.  I love these pictures each year with the hay bale girl :) It's tradition, and you don't mess with tradition!
We almost forgot to pick our "free" pumpkins on the way out, but luckily I remembered.  I am learning that my kids are pretty dang particular when it comes to picking pumpkins, so it always takes way longer than I think it will :)
It was another great year at Green Meadows :) It was a little cold and damp, but at least we weren't sweating or dealing with a crowd!!

No comments:

Post a Comment