Friday, November 30, 2018

Grandpa GG

Kevin's Grandpa (lovingly referred to as Grandpa GG by the great grandchildren) passed away the week before Thanksgiving. The funeral was held the week after, and Kevin was able to fly to Utah to be there with his entire extended family.  I was sad that the kids and I didn't get to go, but I am so glad that Kevin had that experience.  He always had a special bond with his Grandpa, and Bob was so sweet and kind to me since the day we met, which was actually a really funny story.

After moving back home a few days before Christmas in preparation to serve my mission, Kevin flew to my house.  He spent a day or two at my house (I think), and then I drove him to Bakersfield where his extended family was together for the holidays.  When we walked into his Aunt Shelly's house together, the entire family was sitting in a circle in the living room.  Talk about intimidating, haha.  I had a seat, and then Grandpa (Bob) says, "Okay, we can all go around the room and ask Katie two questions."  He was obviously joking, but I was nervous nonetheless.  He then asked me if I liked boating.  That was the test, I guess, haha.

We have shared a lot of special memories with him and Bobbi over the years, and I love that our children know and love their great grandparents. For the funeral, they put together a video presentation with pictures.  As I looked through years of pictures, I was grateful that I have pictures of when they came to Texas for Brooke's baby blessing, when they held Colby for the first time, and lots of memories in between.

He will be missed, but we know that we'll see him again!

No comments:

Post a Comment