Saturday, July 18, 2015

It's a Boy!!

We were scheduled to have our anatomy scan on June 19th, but after being rescheduled, we went in on June 24th.  (Also our anniversary!)  Kevin met us at the office, and Brooke was patiently looking at magazines until we were called back.  Kevin and I both felt like it was maybe a boy, but then doubted ourselves, thinking that it was probably just wishful thinking.  I honestly would have been super happy either way, but I know that Kevin kinda was hoping for a boy to ensure that at least we had one of each gender.
It was a little different experience having Brooke in the room with us, but I wouldn't change that at all.  Kevin was trying to keep her focused on the screen to watch the baby and listen for the heart beeps :)  The tech was able to see the gender pretty quickly, which was a fun surprise.  It really just didn't seem real though.  She spent a long time trying to get a good picture of the heart and the face, but was never successful.  Everything else looked great, but based on all the measurements, the baby was about 5 days smaller than my due date.  She said they wouldn't change my due date unless he was 2 weeks bigger or smaller, so we just had to reschedule for another visit since baby boy wasn't totally cooperating. 
I had Kevin snap a few pictures of me that evening to document the big day!
Brooke is pretty possessive of the baby pictures, and despite many attempts at explaining that she is going to have a baby brother, she still refers to the baby as "Baby Big Sister". I think she is just confused since we kept coaching HER about being a big sister :)
Since it was also our 9 year anniversary (which was definitely overshadowed by the gender news!!), Brooke helped me make a cheesecake.  Our oven had been working on and off for a few weeks, but the anniversary miracle was that it turned on that morning.   The cheesecake was a success.
And my little helper was super excited to assist in the process!  (Funny Story:  Kevin and I talked multiple times about how the anatomy scan would be on our anniversary, but honestly, the day before the appointment, it dawned on me that I hadn't even written Kevin a card, purchased a gift, or thought about how we were going to celebrate.  Which is not like me at all!  That night, after we put Brooke to bed, we were crawling into bed ourselves and I asked Kevin, "Do you know what tomorrow is?" He said, "Oh my gosh, it's our anniversary", and kinda laughed.  I told him how I had the same realization only a few hours earlier.  He just laughed, gave me a high five, and said "Happy 9 years!", HAHA.  It's a good thing we know we love each other.  We decided to just focus on the exciting baby news that the next day would bring, and celebrate sometime in the near future.)
Update:  I just went in on Wednesday (July 15th) for the recheck, and the baby's heart, face, and cord all looked great.  I asked the tech if we still had a boy, to which she responded, "Yes, that was one of the first things he showed me", haha.  I guess I missed that part.  At the end, she decided to see if she could get a quick 3D image of his face, which was kind of an added bonus.  The squiggle thing is the cord kinda floating near his face, but he is pretty cute if you ask me.  He had one arm up behind his head, and the other one folded across his body, which is totally how Brooke sleeps.
Love my little guy already!!

No comments:

Post a Comment