Thursday, April 30, 2020

covid-19 continues

It feels like our days were slow and simple during the continuing pandemic, but as I look over pictures, I realize how much we were actually doing each day!  

We set this tent up during our Conference Campout, but Brooke was the only one who slept in it on Saturday night.  She loved it so much, she slept in it for the next 10 days I think, haha. She just kept telling me how cozy it was. 
One afternoon, we played on the grassy field with the Hawkins.  We were avoiding the park since it was believed that the virus could live on hard surfaces, but we figured the field was a safe place to be. (If you don't consider the terrible Texas fire ants!)
I'm sure the kids wanted more toys from the garage, so the playdate was moved over to our driveway.  Brooke ended up reading to the kids from her Princess cookbook while they had a snack.
More time at the lake, where it's perfectly easy to practice social distancing...
The Spring weather has been seriously perfect, which I am so grateful for.  We've been able to spend hours upon hours outside because it's just been beautiful.  Bubbles on a windy day was the best, I literally didn't have to do a thing besides hold up the wand in the air.
It was bound to happen, but Colby had his first big fall off his bike.  And of course it happened right when we were able to call it a day and head inside.  His little face says it all...
During the great closet clean-out, Colby inherited this tiny laptop.  He already had a "real fake phone", so he was feeling pretty official.  I was busy making cookies in the kitchen, but he kept telling me things like, "Pretend like you're my mom and you say, 'Good luck at work, Sweety.'" or "How was your meeting, Sweety." It was pretty adorable :)
And the cookies turned out delicious, so it was a productive day for all of us, haha.
One day, as I wrapped up some yard work, I saw Colby digging in the grass.  I about lost my mind and asked what he thought he was doing. He said he was trying to make a "finish line."  I quickly explained all the reasons why he couldn't dig holes in our lawn, but instead I let him use these tiny white poles and he fashioned this whole thing by himself...
He then had me wait on the other side to cheer him on during his pretend race.  Love a good creative mind and a resourceful spirit.

Virtual schooling continued to go fairly well, but Brooke definitely did better when we did school work first thing in the morning.  Especially when I let her sit in this random raft we found in a closet. Gotta keep things interesting, right??
Kevin and I finished our fence project, which we were pretty proud about, but the staining was a whole other adventure.  I loved the stain I chose, but it was super opaque and took an entire gallon to cover half of the fence.  I had waited in a Home Depot line for over an hour to even get into the store, so I did a curbside order for the next gallon.  I had to wait a day for my order to be ready, and hauled all the supplies out there to start the process again.  Little did I know, but they gave me the wrong stain!!  I had the correct color on my order form, but I never verified what they gave me, so I had to make another curbside order for a different location and wait a day to pick it up.  I was really starting to hate the whole project by the time I finally got the correct stain.

As I started the second half, it appeared to be a darker color, but I assumed it was because it was fresh stain as opposed to the dry stain. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, and I now have a two-toned fence.  Uggh, it really is annoying, but there's nothing I can do about it now.  At least I have a story to tell, right?
That raft really has come in handy, haha...
More time outside meant more time going on nature walks (collecting rocks and sticks) and creating random wood projects.
Brooke's teacher, Mrs. Farwell, was so great about planning fun virtual field trips for the kids, complete with invitations and tickets that she mailed to each student. The first trip was to the San Diego Zoo and you better believe that Brooke was all over dressing up and bringing a stuffed animal to share with the group.
Mrs. Farwell let each student talk about what animals they were hoping to see, then led them through lots of the live cams at the zoo.
And last, but certainly not least, was fun with the old science kit.  You can never really go wrong with a bubble snake, and I guess it had been quite a while since we'd done them.
I really have enjoyed this time with my littles and the extra family time we have had in the evenings and on the weekends.  We don't want this quarantine to last forever, but it makes you stop and wonder what things you want to rush back to and what things might need to be gone forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment