Saturday, April 25, 2020

fishing at the lake

Every single time we drive past the lake (without exception), Colby asks when we are going to go fishing.  We have poles from our last lake house adventure, so all we needed to do was set a date and get some bait.  Well, we eventually did it and the kids were SO excited!  

We made a quick pit stop at the marina store for a fishing license and night crawlers, and then we were off to find the perfect fishing spot.  Kevin had already given me a heads up that he didn't think we would actually catch anything, but he was happy to give it a shot and humor the kids.
Well, we must have had beginners luck because within 5 minutes, as Colby was reeling his line in, he caught his first fish!!!  The video is hilarious because Kevin just kept shouting, "Get the net!!" because he didn't want the fish to get away before we got a picture. 
His sweet face made the whole outing worth it!  He was just SO happy that he caught his first fish, and he was equally happy to hold it in his hands and throw it back. He did make it clear that he wanted to keep a big one so that we could cook it at home, but I wasn't really on board for that, haha. 
I'll love this picture forever!
Then it was Brookie's turn!  I was hoping so badly that she would catch something as well, and although she had to be more patient and cast her line multiple times, she caught one as well!!  
It was a catfish and ever so squirmy, but Brooke's reaction was priceless. 
She didn't want the fish too close to her, but was brave enough to throw it back with her gloves on :) 
We were kind of on a high from the first two fish of the day, and were pretty much in shock with our success.  A little while later, after untangling a few lines, Kevin caught a big catfish.  He let Colby hold it while he removed the hook, and then we had to snap a quick picture.
And last, but not least, was the tiny baby fish that I caught, haha.  I was feeling sad for myself that I was gonna be the only one NOT to catch something, and then this little baby came a nibbling :)
It was such a fun night for our family and I'm sure the first of many fishing adventures to come.  It's gotta be in my blood, right?  Grandpa Stadtmueller was an avid fisherman, and him and Nana took their kids and grandkids fishing too many times to count.  Even my mom will bait the hooks, gut the fish and cook them up :)  She laughed at me when I told her that I couldn't bring myself to bait the hooks. Maybe next time I'll try to be a bit more brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment