Thursday, December 5, 2019

grinch program

The entire First Grade at Dalton presented an adorable Grinch Program!  They had been practicing for weeks, and all the students were instructed to wear Grinch inspired outfits and hairstyles.  Brooke was thrilled to wear her new (but still a little big) Christmas dress that I bought on clearance last year, but the hairstyle was a whole other story.  She wanted the same style she wore on Grinch day last year, which meant that I needed to buy a new pack of party hats to create the illusion of a tall cone of hair on her head.  I had her hair all styled, but when she looked in the mirror, she had a terrible attitude.  She hated it and kept telling me how ridiculous she looked.  I assured her that she didn't look ridiculous, but I cut down the party hat to make a shorter cone. She still wasn't happy, and by this time, I was getting frustrated.  I wanted her to feel confident in herself and not worry so much about what other people would think! (As I type this, I know I need to take my own advice, haha!)  Anyway, I gave up on the fun style and asked her how she wanted her hair.  Another girl at school had worn two different ponytails and a braid, so we went with a similar style and she was happy. I guess the important part was her being confident in herself, right? 
The whole program was adorable, and I was really glad that I arrived about 45 minutes early because the place was packed with a ton of parents left standing in the back of the Danny Jones cafeteria;  I felt like a punk saving a row of seats, especially since Kevin and his parents didn't arrive until moments before the program started, but I just tried to avoid eye contact with people. 

I was right in Brooke's direct line of vision, so I loved catching her eye throughout the program and smiling at her. She kept yawning, which was cracking me up!

As we left the program, we ran into her Kindergarten best friends, Emma and Jerzey. These girls are the sweetest, and it was fun to see them run and hug each other tight.  
It was so great that Grandma and Papa could come support Brooke as well.  She always loves having them at her important school events.
And why not take a family picture as well?  My hair tie broke just before we took the picture, so I look a little weird, but I felt proud of Brooke and the way she sang her little heart out. Cutest Who down in Whoville :)

No comments:

Post a Comment