Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Christmas Eve

We started off the day making our sugar cookies! I love the bed head/jammie look going on with these two :) Brooke had actually helped me make the dough the night before, but we rolled them out together that morning. Making and decorating sugar cookies is one of my favorite holiday traditions, and I'm pretty sure that my kids love it just as much as I do. 
We were hosting this year, and since Kevin had to work a half-day, I did as much of the prep beforehand as possible.  I can't remember why Colby went to bed early, but Brooke, Kevin, and I stayed up late adding the leaves to our table and getting everything set just the way we wanted it.  I love seeing our red dishes on the table and the cheer it brings to the dining room.  When we purchased this table, we talked about the day that it would be full of family and friends for things like holidays.  Now, we fill that table each time we have a family meal.  This year, Uncle Tom and Robert were also joining us, so Brooke made sure to make a name card for each place setting.
The roasts and carrots were in the crockpot, the table was set, appetizers were ready, and we had time to hang out together before Kevin came home to us.
This is definitely NOT a good picture of me, but I was excited that Brooke actually wanted to match, so I let Colby take the picture.
Everyone arrived about 2 PM and we chatted and ate snacks until taking a family picture.  Jerry and Bev were gifting Tom and Robert some new pictures frames for their house, and they thought it would be fun to do a group picture.  Tom and Robert live together, but I think it's a little lonely for both of them. When they were here a few years ago for Thanksgiving, I helped Tom create an Instagram account so he could keep up with Melanie and I and our kiddos.  He comments at times, but Bev has told me how much Tom loves seeing what the kids are up to.  He is always complimenting our mothering and it gives him and Bev something to talk about.  I don't know if he'll ever have grandkids, so he's living vicariously through his great nieces and nephew :)
Dinner pictures are always a little funny, but there was a lot of love around the table.  Kevin did a nice job thanking everyone for coming to our home and spending the afternoon with us.  It really is such a blessing to be able to host a meal in the comfort of your own home.
After dinner, we played carols with our pipe chimes.  Colby needed reminders when it was his turn to play a note, but overall, the kids are getting pretty good!  I think Tom and Robert enjoyed being part of that tradition, and then Brooke played a few Christmas songs on the piano.  I don't want her to feel like she has to perform on command, but I love when she plays for us.  Jerry was the one that asked her, so technically it wasn't me putting her on the spot.

Then it was FINALLY time for the cookies...
SO much sugar and SO many sprinkles, but it's all part of the experience, right?
They were all pretty meticulous when it came to the frosting and decorating!
My favorite moment was when Uncle Jeff played a song called, "I like your Christmas cookies, babe."  The song was catchy, but watching the kids all decorate and sing as they worked was nothing short of adorable.
After our guests lefts, the kids changed into their Christmas jammies and took the obligatory pictures by the tree. Colby wanted the manger in the picture, which was a great idea to show how full it was.  They worked hard doing kind deeds throughout the month of December to fill the manger for baby Jesus, and I was so proud of them for filling our home with love.
Being near all the gifts made them pretty giddy, and we decided to let them open one gift each.  More specifically, the gift they picked for each other.  Colby gifted Brooke a refill pack for her friendship bracelet kit.  Brooke gifted Colby a small Tracker stuffed animal, which he had been wanting from Kroger.  Of course they wanted to open more, but we explained that the rest of the excitement would have to wait until the next day.
We read the Christmas story from Matthew, placed cookies and milk for Santa, then filled an entire plate with carrots for Santa's reindeer (Brooke's request). It was sweet watching their excitement as they tried to make everything perfect.  Brooke remembered that she had colored a big Santa face, so she left it as a gift.  Colby decided to leave a quarter for Santa and asked me to write a note clarifying that the quarter was "for [you] to take home to the North Pole."
Once the kids were sound asleep in their beds, Santa came and left some goodies for a good little girl and boy...
As Kevin and I crawled into bed, I was pretty happy with how the day went.  It wasn't stressful, but instead a really nice day just making memories as a family and enjoying the love that Christmas brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment