Wednesday, December 25, 2019

christmas day

Sweet Brooke was awake by 7:30 or 8, but waited semi-patiently for Colby to wake up.  She had been instructed to wait in her room before coming downstairs, so Kevin and I went up to snuggle her in bed.  We read books, then started watching iPhoto memories on my phone.  We watched a few, and then accidentally almost spoiled her Santa surprises!  Somehow she switched back over to the photo roll, and saw a picture of Colby's bow and arrow.  She instantly said, "Wait, did Colby get a real bow and arrow."  I quickly grabbed my phone, and explained that I had taken a few pictures before heading up to her room that morning!  That seemed to make sense to her, so we quickly changed activities. I went down and grabbed breakfast and we ate in Brookie's bed. By 9,  we felt like Brooke had waited long enough and we went over to Colby's room to wake him up.  As we walked into his room, he was already sitting up, so it was perfect timing :)

Colby was still sleepy-eyed, but they were excited to go see what Santa brought for them...
Brooke was most interested in checking out her stocking, and Colby went straight to figuring out his bow and arrow.
He caught on quickly, and set up a little target range with Frosty the Snowman.
Santa was smart and brought two bows, so Daddy got right in on the action. 
Colby was pretty generous in letting Brooke use a bow as well, but after a while, she wanted to go use all her new art supplies. I think she completed her velvet art pad in 2 days, haha.
I picked these gifts for myself, but I was still super excited about them, haha.  Mostly about the new framed items for our mantle.  The Waterpik wasn't really exciting, but apparently my dental health is on the decline and my dentist recommended that I try one.  Kevin also let me buy a parenting course that I wanted, even though he assured me that he thought I was already a really great Mama.  (He's sweet.)
Kevin got AirPods, a framed print of the Savior reaching down to Peter in the water, and a few other small things that he was wanting. I didn't get a picture of any of that, though :/

We spent the next little bit opening gifts, and I was happy that they showed gratitude towards Kevin and I for their new things. We called Nay Nay and Papa (who were spending the holiday with Kimberly and Josh), and were able to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. I was glad that we hadn't committed to being in Flower Mound until 2 because we had plenty of time to just have breakfast together, play with their toys, and most importantly, not rush the day along.
When we arrived in Flower Mound, I helped Bev finish the framed pictures for Tom.  She had me write "Great Uncle" along the top of the mat, and "We love you" along the bottom. The kids then signed their names on the sides and it all turned out really cute :)

The kid played outside for a while, we finished preparing the meal, and then we enjoyed eating it together. Everything was so tasty, and even tastier since most of the prep was done before I got there, haha. 
After dinner, we moved on to gifts and the kids were all really excited for their cousins to open the gifts they brought. That's the best part of Christmas!
Kevin started feeling sick, and since he had to work the day, we quickly ate some pie and ice cream, then loaded up and headed home.  After the kids were tucked all snug in their beds, I arranged their gifts and took pictures before they wanted to tear into everything the next day.  My Mom always did this on Christmas, and I thought it was kind of fun to remember what gifts we received each year.
It looks like a lot, but when you have grandparents and family that spoil you, you are, indeed, spoiled!  They each only had four gifts from us, and then their gifts from Santa. I liked keeping it simpler this year because they already have SO much.  And guess what, they were super happy with everything!  Childhood should be simpler than it is, haha.

It was a beautiful day together as a family, and I went to bed feeling gratitude for our Savior and for His humble birth. The true reason we do all of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment