Tuesday, August 27, 2019

first top tooth

Shortly after losing her second bottom tooth, Brooke commented that one of her top teeth was loose.  I examined it, and although it was sightly loose, it didn't seem like it would be falling out anytime soon.  Fast forward a month or more, and that tooth became VERY loose!  Not so loose that I thought it would fall out on its own, but I could tell that it was bothering her. She also made multiple comments about NOT wanting to loose those top teeth because she would look weird.  I assured her that she most definitely wouldn't look weird, but that it was all part of growing up :)

A few days later, I told her that one of her friends (Ethan) had lost his top tooth and he looked adorable!  She of course wanted to see the picture, and when she saw that he still looked "normal", she didn't seem as worried about it.  A few days after that, she commented that she MIGHT have Daddy pull her tooth out that night because it was distracting her in class.  "I'm still doing my work and everything, but it keeps distracting me!"

I also reminded her that she would get to be the first kid on the tooth chart in her classroom, which was the final piece of motivation she needed. As soon as we finished dinner, she had Kevin inspect her tooth. He thought it still needed a bit of wiggling, so he had her work on it for a few minutes.  Then it was go time...
Kevin gave it a good tug, but she immediately said, "Ouch, Daddy" with his hand partially in her mouth.  He of course stopped and apologized for hurting her, then told her they might have to wait a few more days.  I could see the little wheels turning in her mind as she weighed the pros and cons of waiting for the tooth to get looser, or dealing with a bit of pain.  Kevin and I were both of the mindset that she should do whatever she wanted, and surprisingly, she wanted Kevin to try again. I could tell that he was a little hesitant because he didn't want to hurt her, but he was willing to try again.

Again, she didn't like that tugging feeling, but she still wanted it OUT!  Since it was even looser, she didn't like the feeling of the gap behind the tooth.  Kevin told her to go brush her tooth really hard and see what happened.  I tried to take a picture of that snaggle tooth, haha, but it's hard to tell how much it was sticking forward.
Brooke opted for one final pull, and Kevin made it happen :)  I was really so impressed with her bravery, especially because I could tell that it hurt her little mouth.  In the video, you could tell that she was excited/shocked/emotional all in the same moment.  Tears came to her eyes, and Kevin quickly scooped her into his arms.
She really has the best Daddy, and I'm really glad that he is the tooth guy because I'm not sure that I could do it. (Funny fact: one of my childhood besties used to have MY dad pull her teeth because it freaked HER dad out, haha!)

I adore these two and her adorable toothless grin.
That was a lot of excitement for one night, but she made sure that the tooth was placed into her special pillow for the tooth fairy to collect while she was dreaming.
All tucked in (with baby cow, of course) for the night...
 The tooth fairy did indeed visit, and left her a note and SIX quarters.  Wow, she was excited about those quarters :)  

And this is too funny not to post, especially after that sweet picture of her all cozy in her bed!  As I braided her hair the next morning, she picked my phone off the counter and took a few selfies.  I think she was trying to be funny because I told her she had chocolate donut on her face, but I am never deleting this picture, haha.  I am sure she will REALLY love it when she's a teenager :)

No comments:

Post a Comment