Tuesday, May 31, 2022

master bedroom update

After finishing Brooke's room, I planned on moving on to Colby's room, but he informed me that white was "so boring" and that he wanted blue walls instead.  Until we had a solid plan for his room, and since we decided to hold off on the new carpet, I decided to move on to the master bedroom. 

I can't believe that I didn't take a decent before picture with my bed actually made, but this was better than nothing...
Again, this took forever because I had to tape off all the levels of the ceiling and molding, but it was most definitely worth it. 
Seeing the last of the tan disappear was a VERY welcome sight.  
We planned on painting the walls a light gray since all of our furniture is white, but it turns out that gray is a very tricky beast!  I bought 5 samples after the fiasco with Brooke's bathroom, but none of them looked good with our furniture.  No matter the shade of gray, our furniture (which I thought was a creamy white) looked yellow.  I began doing extensive research about which grays look good with creamy white, and despite the grays being the right LRV (Light Reflective Value) to be okay next to a creamy white, they were all wrong.  
So, I convinced Kevin that unless we wanted to get all new furniture, our best bet was to paint the walls a creamy white to not compete with the furniture.  Then I had to paint over all the areas I put sample paints on, haha.
The end result was absolutely perfect (in my opinion), and although Kevin thinks it's a little boring, I think he agrees that it was definitely the way to go for our current furniture. 
Peeling off all this painters tape for the final reveal was so satisfying...
Once the bedroom was put back together, I realized how much I wanted to change up the bedding as well.  These projects always snowball, right?  I kind of knew this would happen, and since we've had the plum duvet for nearly 13 years, I felt justified in wanting a new one.
Finding the right replacement was no easy task, but I absolutely loved how the inky blue just updated the whole bedroom. I found drapes that tied in perfectly, and a lumbar pillow as well. 
We've never had drapes in this space, and they made ALL the difference.  I originally hung them too low, but Kevin was super helpful when I decided that they needed to be raised.  It meant ordering new drapes and a longer drapery rod to hide the seams, but he was such a good sport. 
I was worried how the white frames would look against the white walls, but since they all had accents in gray and wood tones, they looked beautiful against a crisp, clean wall. 
I don't want to toot my own horn, but I really was so pleased with how everything turned out.  I loved all the details and I was just so happy every single time I walked into our room. 
I especially loved how the blue bedding tied into the blue stenciling on the bathroom tiles and the blue rugs and towels throughout. 
I definitely needed a break after this big project, but it was so rewarding to see the fruits of my hard work and vision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment