Friday, May 28, 2021

awards ceremony and a field day

The awards ceremony was virtual this year, but at least we had the chance to see it!  Brooke received the Future Teacher Award and the "A" Honor Roll. Kevin was even able to listen in on his airpods while he was at work. 
Brooke also received the Sunshine Award, which was given to one girl and one boy and voted on by the students.  She had been talking about it ever since they voted a week ago, and although I assured her that it was okay if she didn't win, I was SO happy for her when she did.  (She told me that she voted for herself, which I'm sure was true for a lot of the kids, haha.) As Mrs. Blanton described the award, I knew why Brooke wanted it so badly!  She truly is like sunshine, respectful and kind to others, responsible, and trustworthy. (Mrs. Blanton later told me that it was a really close race among the boys, but that Brooke had by far the most votes among the girls.  Made my heart extra happy.)
My little ray of sunshine...
When I posted about her award on Instagram, I loved the comments. Rachel Smith wrote, "She is a ray of sunshine! Love her." Danielle Sturgill wrote "Not surprised at all!!  Go Brooke!" And Miss Bobbi (Danielle's mom), wrote "She IS sunshine."  They know my girl well :)
Field Day finally happened after being rescheduled twice!  I was a sweaty mess after 2.5 hours outside, but I loved chatting with Mrs. Blanton and watching Brooke interact with her friends. The kids spent a lot of time sitting between events, but Brooke still said it was fun, so I guess that's what counts. 
Brooke and Riley (friends since Kindergarten)...
Brooke and Sidney (super sweet kid) have been in the same class the past three years...
Brooke received the Third Place ribbon for the "egg in spoon" walk among Second Grade girls and she was so happy!  They've been practicing in PE and she felt very confident.  In the video, she takes off SO quickly and heads straight to the other side. 
MY favorite part was watching her in the hula hoop contest!  They had a few classes go at a time, then the winners of each round competed at the end. Out of probably 60 girls, Brookie won second place!!  Hearing all her classmates chant her name was priceless.  I thought for sure it would make her nervous, but she just stood there confidently doing her thing.  Even when Ms. Stapp started adding elements, like standing on one foot, or taking two steps to the side, Brooke was rocking it.  I was just SO proud of her for giving it her all and showing determination.  Afterwards, she kept saying, "See, Mom, we just need a weighted hula hoop. I'm way better at that than the one we have at home!"
Such a fun way to end the school year!! Can't believe this is the end of Second Grade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment