Monday, October 23, 2017

race to stop traffick

One of the speakers at TOFW was Tim Ballard, an ex-CIA member and founder of Operation Underground Railroad (an organization which assists governments around the world in the rescue of human trafficking and sex trafficking victims-with a special focus on children). It was amazing and heartbreaking at the same time to hear his stories about covert operations to rescue children from sex-trafficking.  He shared a little bit about his family, and always recognized the Lord's hand in his many ops.  I am obviously very sheltered because I had no idea that so much of this trafficking was going on in the United States as well. I left the conference vowing to be more vigilant with my children when we're out and about, and also desiring to do something to help.  

That night, Kimberly was looking on the organization's website, and found that they were doing a 5K and "fun run" (probably not the best name for it) to raise money.  I really wanted to support this cause, and although it was last minute, our friends (Hawkins & Smiths) joined us as well.  
Brooke, Whitaker, Carter, and Elias
We started out walking, but then the kids started running, which meant that Joanna and I were running along behind them while the dads stayed back with the strollers.  Towards the end, I was trying to get Brooke to slow down so that we could cross the finish line together as a family, but Brooke said "I just really want to win the race for Daddy."  It was super sweet, but hilarious because there were tons of people ahead of her.  We waited for a bit, then her and Kevin ran to the finish line together.
As Colby and I neared the end, he also wanted to get out.  We had forgotten his shoes, but I let him get out and run across in his socks, haha. Everyone was clapping and cheering, which was seriously funny.

After all participants were done, they had a short program, which totally had me in tears.  It was just a somber event for me because of what it represented, and as Brooke wrote her name on the wall of abolitionists, the emotions hit me again.  I cannot imagine what those children go through, and I probably don't want to know. I wish I could do more, but at least I can support this race if they come to Dallas again.   And I'll announce it to everyone I know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment