Friday, October 20, 2017

ice skating date

We have been talking about doing an ice skating date for quite some time, but we finally made it a reality!  This rink is at the Parks Mall, which is also home to the carousel my kids love to ride.  I think we actually toyed with the idea of taking them last year, but they don't allow strollers on the ice (which I have seen at other places), so there was no way we could take Colby. 

Needless to say, the littles were pumped up and excited about the whole experience.  Getting to wear ice skates was SO exciting!

Brooke was not quite as independent as I thought she would be, but I was probably expecting too much for her first time.  It was also WAY harder than I thought it would be to hold onto Colby's hands and skate with him.  He kept swinging his legs out, or sliding one out and then spurring the ice with his heel.  Lots of fun, I tell you, haha!  It actually was really fun, but my back was sore by the end of the outing.  Thankfully, they didn't last too long, and I didn't even care because we had only paid a few dollars thanks to coupons :)

We ended our "family date" with some ice cream from Chick-fil-a, which is always a win in our book.  And now that I'm writing about this event, I remember another reason we went on the date.  We had been filling a "kindness jar" with little pom-poms for each nice thing the kids did for each other.  Mom gave me us a book called "The Kindness Bucket", and it has been a super effective way to explain that we fill each other's "buckets" by being kind, and "dip from their bucket" when we are unkind.  Once our jar was full, we had decided on ice-skating as our family date to celebrate all that kinds :)

No comments:

Post a Comment