Saturday, March 18, 2017

lesson in sportsmanship

Last weekend was our 3rd week of soccer, and Miss Brooke was ready!  Kevin wanted us to be a little early so that we weren't always the last ones there.  We had always been on time, so I wasn't worried about it, but Kevin said he didn't want to be "that guy", haha.  Well, mission accomplished, we were early, and Brooke began practicing with the coach's daughter Charlie.
Everything was going well, but Brooke mentioned that she was tired by the end of practice.  They practice for a solid 45 minutes, then have a little devotional and bathroom break. The sun was out in full force, so I figured that was having an effect on her as well.

Well, the game started, and they were getting spanked by the gray team.  They were scoring goal after goal, and for some reason, our team was really struggling to get the ball. Brooke was in the game, and she yelled to me that she was tired.  I yelled back and told her that it was almost halftime.  Fast forward to the second half, and Brooke lost it.  Coach put her in again, and she was just standing there with her arms crossed.  I went over to talk to her, and she told me that she wanted to go home.  I was so embarrassed, and was frustrated that she wasn't trying.  I told her that her team needed her, and I knew that if she positioned herself by the goal, her and Ethan (the best kid on the team), could score more goals.  She was being so stubborn and told me that she didn't want to score any goals.  I promised that we would go to Iggy's if she scored a goal, and not even that worked, haha.  I told her to go tell her coach that she wanted to sit out, and she refused to do that as well.  I finally yelled to the coach to sub her out, and I walked her back over to the bench.  I asked her why she wasn't having any fun, and the truth came out!!  "I'm mad because the gray guys are scoring all the goals", hahaha!  Well, that explained a lot.  She was frustrated because the other team was scoring all the goals, and I reminded her that the other team was just working hard and trying their best, whereas Brooke was pouting and refusing to run.  You can't score a goal if you don't run, right??  That's where our lesson about good sportsmanship came in :)
So, the end of the game was rough, but hopefully next week is better! Colby enjoyed the licorice though :)
And at least we had smiles at the end as Brooke went through the parent tunnel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment