Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Nursery Prep

This whole "nesting" business is totally real, haha.  I have been reorganizing closets to make room in the new nursery closet for what seems like weeks.  I have just felt really anxious to have the room ready to go, even though the little guy won't sleep in there for a while. First order of business was to install a new ceiling fan/light combo.  We picked one out at Home Depot and while Kevin assembled the thing, Brooke did some coloring on the styrofoam packaging. 
When it came time for blade assembly, my girl Brooke was ready to help.  I gave her a screw to hold, and she immediately placed it where it belonged, and reached for another one.  She was seriously helpful!
Project completed!!
While we were at Home Depot, I went down the paint aisle to look at paint chips.  I picked out a few that represented the colors I wanted to go with.  The color I liked best was called "Fairy Queen", so I was hoping Kevin wouldn't ask the name, haha.  But he did, and I prefaced my response by saying that it didn't really matter the name of the paint color!  After matching the paint chips at home with the fabric and accessories, I am happy to report that "Exquisite Emerald" is actually the best match.  So our little boy doesn't have to worry about a thing.
These curtains turned out to be quite the labor of love.  Not the actual sewing part, but the fabric finding!  Before we even knew the gender, I had zeroed in on this emerald color, and had taken a picture of this fabric on my phone one day while at JoAnn's.  Fast forward a few months, when I actually went to purchase the fabric, and to my dismay, it was GONE!!  I tried asking a few store associates, but they just suggested that I look for the fabric online.  I went home and spent several hours looking through thousands of fabric swatches online, to no avail.  I then texted my mom to see if she could possibly check her store in California.  She of course was willing to help, despite being super busy getting ready to go back to school.  Her store didn't have it either :(  I was getting frustrated because there were ZERO other fabric choices in this color.  I was thinking I would have to switch to navy drapes, which wouldn't be the end of the world, but it wasn't what I really wanted.

The other Joann's close to me is permanently closed down, so I drove about 30 minutes away one afternoon to check a different store.  No luck there either :(  I was mad at myself that I hadn't thought about writing the style number down when I first fell in love with the fabric.  (Oh, and I also emailed customer service and attached the picture of the fabric to see if they could help.  They couldn't!)  I decided to check one more store, so I loaded Brooke in the car and we drove another 25 minutes north.  I am certainly glad that I did because that store carried my fabric!!  I literally was so so happy.  I said a prayer with Brooke in the aisle at the fabric store because I felt so grateful that all the driving was worth it.  I bought the entire bolt, which was like 4.5 yards.  I was assuming that I would have extra to make pillow covers, but I definitely wasn't estimating carefully because i didn't even have enough to make them as long as I wanted.  But, I am still happy with how they turned out.
My helper girl assisted me as we put together the baby's bookcase that week as well.  She was super happy about doing the electric screwdriver "all right by self" (by herself).  Although these projects take longer with her assistance, I love having her involved in what I am doing and I love her sense of independence and pride in a job well done.  She is always so excited to tell Daddy all about what we did during the day!
The furniture arrived on Friday, so we spent the majority of the evening trying to move things around to choose the perfect placement for the dresser, crib, and bookcase.  I tease Kevin about how he likes things placed at an angle, but in the end, his idea was my favorite, so we went for it.  All furniture is placed, and we even hung a few things on the wall.  More pictures coming soon :)

We are definitely having fun with this process, and my mama "nesting" heart is happy that we are making progress on baby boy's room.

No comments:

Post a Comment