Thursday, January 23, 2014

7 Month Snapshot

Brooke had her 6 month shots at about 6.5 months, and she weighed in at 16 lbs, 7 oz (50th percentile), and was 27.5 inches long (90th percentile).  Her head was in the 95th percentile...so she must be really smart, haha.  Poor girl had to get 4 shots and one oral vaccine, but she only cried for a minute and then was fine. Let me tell you, it doesn't get any easier to watch her get those shots.

Brooke has become quite the little mover, as evidenced by the pictures below!  I have a feeling that these monthly pics are going to become much more challenging.  She wanted to keep rolling over to grab the blocks. 
When I wouldn't let her eat the blocks, she opted for her shoes instead.
We have continued with the Stage 1 baby foods, and Miss Brooke loves to eat!  Whenever I get her spoon out, she starts kicking her legs like crazy.  She is not a respecter of purees, but she does seem to devour the bananas a bit faster than the others.  Other things to note this month: pops her lips to "talk" to mama, pulls blanket off her face during peek-a-boo, sits up unassisted, grabs at everything (especially cups and straws), kicks like a crazy kid in the bathtub, rolls back and forth constantly (even slept on tummy during one nap), wiggles A LOT at church, claps hands together occasionally, holds her hands above her head while she is squealing, makes spitting sounds with lips, and scared mama half to death by kicking herself halfway out of her swing when I walked away to put laundry down.

AND, she slept in her crib for the first time on New Year's Eve.  I wasn't really planning on having her sleep there all night, but I put her down in her room while Kevin and I were watching a movie in the loft.  When we went to bed, I didn't want to move her, so I figured I would see how long she lasted in her room.  I slept horribly because I kept waking up, checking the monitor, going upstairs to make sure she was breathing, etc.  Brooke, on the other hand, slept wonderfully until 9 am!!  Such a big girl.  The next evening, she threw up her baby food, so I wanted her to be in my room in case she threw-up again and I didn't hear her on the monitor.  (Or maybe I was looking for an excuse to have her in my room!) She was back in our room for a few days, then I moved her back to the nursery for almost a week.  Several nights she woke up around 12 or 1.  I was able to quickly get her back to sleep, but she would wake up as soon as I laid her back in her crib.  I would get her back to sleep, and she would wake up again when I laid her down!  When I felt exhausted, I carried her downstairs and she slept the rest of the night in her swing.

Overall, she is a great sleeper though and continues to sleep about 9-10 hours before waking to eat.  She then goes back to sleep for another 2-3 hours, so I cannot complain!

One more random thing to note this month was the day we had no power!  The power went out about 10:30 am and I figured it was because of the freezing temps we were having.  I called the electric company about noon, and the recording stated that the power should be back up by about 2:30.  Well, it was only like 35 degrees outside, so it was starting to feel cold inside the house.  By 4, the power was still not on!  I went outside to get the mail, and my neighbor told me that a transformer blew near our neighborhood, and they were saying that it wouldn't be back on until probably 1 in the morning.  Yikes!!  I had already held Brooke during one of her naps because it was so chilly.  So, I went back into the house and built a fire.  I also went into the garage (with the one flashlight I could find) to hunt down our camping lantern.  It was dark by about 5:30, and my entire house was SO dark!  So, Brooke and I camped out on a blanket near the fire, and played with her toys by the light of the lantern, haha.  It was kind of comical, but not really.  Made me realize how much we depend on electricity.  My cell phone was also dead, so I had no way of calling Kevin or anyone for that matter!  Luckily, the power came back on about 8, so we didn't have to freeze all night.

1 comment: