Wednesday, May 17, 2023

brookie's field trip

Two days after returning home from our cruise, I chaperoned Brooke's 4th grade field trip.  We had to be at the school SUPER early since our destination was 2.5 hours away.  The kids were excited to be on charter buses, and although I gave Brooke the option to sit by her friends, she wanted to sit by me :)
Our first stop was the Inner Space Caverns in Georgetown.  Funny story: Each class was only allowed to have 2 chaperones.  The room mom (me) had first dibs, and then the other parent was selected at random from a pool of interested parents. Sydney's mom wasn't selected, but she didn't want her son on the field trip without her, so she followed the bus down to Georgetown and just waited in the parking lot while we were on the tour!  I made sure to take a picture of Sydney and Brooke together. 
Madison, Penelope, Brooke, and Sydney...
A look inside the caves...
They all loved the "temptation stone", which was the only thing they could touch inside the whole cave!
After the tour, they were able to pan for gold and minerals, which was a huge hit.  Brooke was most excited about her arrow head.
Since Zalaya's mom wasn't able to attend either, I sent her a picture of our girls.  I really was grateful that I was able to go and be part of such an epic field trip. 
Our second stop was the Mammoth National Monument in Waco.  It's an actual dig site, so I was totally geeking out.  The fossils, first discovered in 1978, are the nation's first and only recorded evidence of a nursery herd of ice age Columbian mammoths, so that's pretty cool. 
Each class took a picture before loading the buses and heading out.  On the bus, we ate our pre-ordered box dinner from Jason's Deli as part of our $100 field trip fee (which I also had to pay!), and they turned on a movie for the trek back to school. 
I learned a lot and really enjoyed the two sites, but most importantly, I loved being with Brooke and I was glad that she wanted me there with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment