Friday, February 3, 2023

the freeze

We had some crazy weather at the beginning of February! They called a half day on Monday and I was nearly late to get my kids because I was at the grocery store with everyone else in town.  I really needed fresh produce since we'd been out of town, but I have never seen a crazier grocery store in all my life.  Everyone was prepping for the upcoming freeze!

And it came...
Colby didn't want to risk cracking his sled, so he opted for the cookie sheet method again. But Brooke had a blast with her pink sled. 
The rest of the first snow day was spent playing games, making bread, going to the Hawkins' house, and making toffee.  Since our tree is still up, it only seemed fitting to make some toffee, which is usually only a Christmas thing.
Our second ice day was mostly spent indoors, but we did venture out when we walked our friends home.  The streets and sidewalks were all just straight ice! Colby wanted to play outside longer, but since he was in shorts and it was nearly 5 PM, I assured him that we could do it the next day. (Spoiler: most of the ice on the road melted that night, which thwarted our plan!)
Day three was spent investigating all the ice around our house.  The most interesting thing to me was how the grass was encapsulated in round balls on ice. 
The ice on our trampoline was insane! It was at least an inch thick around the whole thing.  But the kids had fun getting it all cleared off...
Brooke has been filling her extra time with crafts.  She finished the adorable cactus that was a gift from Hope on her eight birthday, then moved on to the string lantern that was from her 9th birthday.  
The string art was a messy project, but it turned out so good!  I need to find a pic of the final product :)
Colby kept himself entertained :)
                         The ice finally melted on Friday, which meant the we could safely go to Kroger.  And no trip to the grocery store is compete without a stop in the toy section. 
We spent some time at the park that afternoon. I'm amazed that Colby didn't need his sweatshirt since I was wearing my huge coat, but I've learned to let him manage his own body temp. 
It was pretty crazy coming home after a week's vacation to then have a week off for the severe weather! The whole experience made me extremely grateful for a warm and cozy home, and that we never lost power.  Some people weren't so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment