Saturday, February 25, 2023

the cowtown

As part of Brooke's plan to be the girl with the most miles in Daulton Dashers, she asked if we could participate in the Cowtown Race in Fort Worth.  Since Daulton has a team each year, their coach, Ms. Stapp, counts the 3 miles from the race towards their total. Since we wanted to fully support Brooke's goal, we agreed. Colby wasn't super excited about the idea at first, but once he learned that he would get a medal, he was all in!

We tried "training" with the kids for several weeks leading up to the race, but it was a little frustrating.  Brooke, the one who actually loves running, gave us quite a bit of attitude about running in the cold on Saturdays, which frustrated me since we were paying quite a bit of money in registration fees. Colby also frequently told me how much he hated running.  I noted his complaints, but told him that since he already committed, he had to run this one. 

I started getting so worried on Friday night because I had no idea how the streets would be marked off and if my kids were gonna be safe in a sea of strangers.  Was I just gonna let them run off and hope they made it back to the finish line? Kevin had similar worries, so he suggested we take our bikes and try to follow the trail as best we could.  It was a great plan and we were able to see our kids throughout the whole course.  Crisis averted!!  But man, there were a LOT of people in that race.  And even though it was a Kids 5K, parents were able to run alongside them, so we will definitely do that if we ever do this race again. 

The Daulton team, which really wasn't very big!
It was a cool, damp morning, but the kids didn't seem bothered by the weather. 
Brooke could've run the whole thing without stopping, but I thought it was really sweet that she stayed with Colby and ran/walked the whole course.  We talked to them both before the race about how it's an individual thing and they could go at their own pace, but I think they felt most comfortable staying together. 
I completely missed my kids coming across the finish line because I was trying to get through the crowd on my bike and the kids shocked me by running the last half mile without stopping!  But I was still so proud and Colby was pumped about the medal.  The back part of the wagon wheel actually turns, so the effort was definitely worth it in his mind!
So proud of these two for trying something new and accomplishing a goal!
Kevin secretly bought them huge stickers that said "Runner Girl" and "Runner Boy" while we were in the Expo Center, so he gifted those to the kids at the end of the race.
You know you're in Fort Worth when there are random cows and longhorn statues on every corner :)
We ended the fun with a stop at an amazing BBQ place called Hurtados. I opted for breakfast tacos, but Kevin really enjoyed this jalapeno popper :)

No comments:

Post a Comment