Friday, December 17, 2021

class party

At the beginning of the school year, I signed a list stating that I was willing to be the room mom and help with class parties.  Several other people were also on the list, and apparently the PTA chose another woman to be the room mom. Well, a few weeks before the party, that woman (Michelle) reached out to me and another mom about planning the party.  She said that only one of us would be able to attend with her (due to Covid restrictions), so I quickly responded to that email and secured the spot. 

The three of us had a phone call to plan everything, but Michelle seemed like one of those people that tends to just do it all herself.  I came away with a few assignments (crafts, a few games, and some decorations), but she definitely did more than me. 
As the students walked in, their mouths dropped open and they started saying things like, "Thanks, Brooke's mom!" and "This is amazing!" It definitely felt good to exceed their expectations. 
Our theme was Winter Wonderland, so I brought the snowman we normally put on our porch.  I hadn't set him up yet this year, so even Brooke was surprised to see him standing at her classroom door.  I also cut out a bunch of snowflakes that we hung from the ceiling all over the classroom.  
Mrs. Evans took a sweet picture of Brooke and I :)
I loved seeing her interact with her friends...
Brooke and Sidney have been in the same class since Kindergarten, so I always have to snap a picture of these two. 
Then a bunch of other kids jumped into the picture, haha. 
Powdered donut face :)
They played a game where they were divided into teams and they had to race to see who could decorate the tree the fastest.  The catch: you had to use a plastic fork rather than your hands to lift the ornaments and place them on the tree.
They did Just Dance-style videos where you follow the choreography on screen.  Later, Mrs. Evans would stop the music at random times and the students had to freeze in place.  This was probably their favorite activity!
But the candy ball I made was a close second. 
As if they needed more sugar, it was then time to decorate cookies.  The kids all really enjoyed this part, even if the gingerbread was rock hard. 
Brooke's friend, Kate :)
We were able to fill our time perfectly and the kids were excited about every single activity, so I'd say it was a success.  We took a regular class picture, followed by a silly one :)
Mrs. Evans thanked us both and complimented that it was the best (and most organized) class party she's ever had, so that made us feel really good. I won't be able to go to the end-of-year party because I have to give the other mom a chance to help, so I'm glad it was such a positive experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment