Sunday, July 18, 2021

california-days 1 and 2

We were SO excited to head to California to see Nay Nay and Papa!!  My last trip out there with the kids was in 2017, but I don't think Kevin has been since Christmas 2012!  
The kids were pumped about our new rolling suitcases and I was pumped that they are now big enough to hoof their own stuff around the airport :)
Kevin sat with the kids and I enjoyed time to sit by myself, haha. 
Brooke and Colby both insisted on bringing these neck pillows, but neither one actually used them.   Instead, they gave them both to Kevin, haha. 
The bathroom in the San Francisco International Airport was stunning!  The whole airport was, actually, but I really wanted a selfie in that bathroom. 
I didn't love all the huge banners throughout the airport about the first openly trans-gender politician, but I wasn't shocked considering we were in San Francisco.  Thankfully, the kids didn't seem to notice, so that was a relief.  I'm really not looking forward to those conversations.  There is so much talk right now about gender rights, and "what you identify as" and it honestly makes me really sad.  Gender is part of our God-given identity and I think the world is making it seem very fluid. Like you can just pick if you want to be a boy or a girl, or a "they/them".  

Anyway, we waited for our bags and then headed out to wait for Papa. 
The kids were thrilled to ride in Papa's truck, especially since Brooke didn't need a booster and Colby only needed Brooke's booster seat rather than his high-back booster. 
We weren't sure that we would all fit in the truck, so Nay Nay was waiting patiently at home.  It felt so good to drive down the street and see my childhood home.  And seeing my girl throw her arms around my mom was the best.  
Nay Nay and Papa are SO loved!!
I'm grateful for how much my parents love Kevin.  I mean, he's easy to love, but I still love to see it. 
I can't really remember what we did that night, but the kids were anxious to check out the toys, snuggle up, and sleep in the new bunk beds. They had been arguing for days about who got to sleep on the top bunk first, but Brooke finally convinced Colby to let her go first. As she laid there the first night, she changed her mind and wanted to sleep on the bottom. Then they were arguing about who had to sleep on the top, haha.  It changed throughout the week, but it all worked out. 

Sunday we attended church, but not without a few pictures first...
It felt really good to walk back into those familiar doors, but I was a little sad to see the lack of familiar faces. There were definitely people that I still knew, but not as many as I had hoped.  
A few more pics after church...
The afternoon was spent playing games, barbies & beanie babies in the "bunk room" (say that 3 times fast, haha)...
Taking walks...
And stopping at the park for a few games of hide and seek..
Kevin helped Colby get in this tree, then didn't want to leave him, so "hid" behind the fan, haha. Classic Kevin move :)
We enjoyed the yummiest roast for dinner, made a plan for the week, then looked through a packet of elementary school work Mom saved for me...
That evening, we devoured a yummy cheesecake...
Being with family is the best!  And we had a whole week of fun to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment