Friday, May 29, 2020

end of first grade

What started as a two week break from school, turned into 11 weeks of at-home learning. The teachers and faculty at Daulton did a great job making the best of the situation, but it was sad to end the year without the normal end-of-year celebrations. Brooke loved her teacher so much, so when it was time to do a drive-through supply pick-up, we made sure to go when Mrs. Farwell would be there.  

Brooke was really excited and chose to dress up for the occasion. As we approached the school, I let her climb to the front seat so she could chat with her teacher.  
Mrs. Farwell was so sweet to Brooke, told her how happy she was to see her, then said she wished she could climb into the car and give her a big hug.  Brooke immediately responded with, "I love you, Miss Farwell." I totally lost it.  I was so choked up I couldn't even speak, and Mrs, Phan (the Principal) saw me and said, "We feel the same way, Mom." I  think I tried to say thank you, but I had to just drive away because I couldn't pull myself together.  Brooke tried comforting me that it was okay, but I was just so emotional.  I wish I would have eloquently expressed to her teacher and principal how much we appreciated all they did to make the most of the situation, but I wasn't expecting my reaction. 
We went right home and went through her bag of school supplies, journals, a few reading books, and art work. She loved showing me everything she had worked on and it felt ALMOST official that my girl was done with first grade!  They still sent out a plan for the next week, but it was more like a review of what they had been learning the last few weeks.  I had Brooke do some of the work, but started letting her skip a few of the assignments since she seemed to have a good grasp of the skills she needed to know.
The next week, the PTA arranged for this fun sign to be placed in front of the school to celebrate Dalton's dragons. I wanted Brooke to wear the same outfit she wore on the first day of First Grade, and although she wasn't excited about it, she was easily bribed with Red Vines, haha.
She made the outfit her own with the pink bow and hair tie bracelet.  I love this little girl so much and I'm proud of her and what she stands for.  Brooke is kind, smart, creative, courageous, and has an innate desire to do what's right. 
I love a good comparison picture, but it always surprised me to see the growth and change that happens in ONE school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment