Monday, May 6, 2019

end of year program

Three weeks before school was out, the Kindergarteners had an end-of-year program that was completely adorable!  The kids were told to wear their Sunday best, and Brooke was thrilled that I let her wear a new dress that I bought a few years ago on clearance :). She felt SO fancy, and even requested lipstick that morning.  She also asked that Colby and I wear fancy clothes as well.  She likes a good reason to dress up, I guess. (Kevin didn't get to come to the program due to work circumstances, which he was so sad about.  Brooke understood, but I know it was really hard on Kevin.)

I felt myself getting emotional as I waited in the hall to enter the cafeteria.  My baby girl was graduating Kindergarten!  It all seemed pretty surreal.  Colby and I had arrived early in hopes of getting a good spot, but as soon as we walked in and I staked my claim on 4 seats, I started doubting my positioning.  I knew which side of the stage Brooke was on, but I realized that I would be too far to the right to see her well.  I tried to get Colby to stay there while I grabbed some other seats, but everything filled up instantly and I was stuck. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but I was so devastated.  I didn't want to be sitting where she couldn't even see me and I couldn't see her.  A few minutes later, Jerry and Bev showed up and sat with me, but I was still stressing about the bad seat selection.  I determined that if I couldn't see Brooke, I would go sit on the floor in the front by the teachers, haha.  I didn't even care if I was "THAT mom".  Once the kids walked in, my heart filled with happiness because Brooke was beaming :) I could see her decently well, but when Colby complained of not seeing her, I made the move. Luckily, I wasn't the only crazy parent, but I was the only one in a dress on the floor, with a child on their lap, haha. 

But guess what?  I had a great view and I didn't even care :)  They sang 4 or 5 songs, my favorite of which was "Kinder-garten" to the Greece song "Summer Lovin".  The lyrics were adorable and it was obvious that the kids were having fun singing it for us. 
After the songs, they announced each graduate and when Mr. Casner (the permanent sub) read "Brooke Meador", she popped right up and I have a cute video of her doing so. The kids then moved to the floor (by me, haha), so they could see the slide show.  So many cute pictures and fun memories from Kindergarten at Daulton Elementary.  

Before they dismissed the kids back to class, they allowed parents to come take a few pictures.  I took this cute one of Brooke and her bestie Jerzey. These girls became fast friends and have remained close all year.  I'm just grateful that she found such a sweet girl to become buddies with. 
Then it was time for the class party :) Unfortunately, siblings were not allowed, so I encouraged Jerry and Bev to attend with Brooke.  Bev offered to go home with Colby (so nice!), but I thought it would be fun for them to do this special activity with her. Each place was set with their graduation certificate, food, and a goody bag. 

Jerzey and Emma's mom both sent cute pics of the girls, which I SO appreciated. 
Jerzey, Brooke, Emma, Riley, and Janae

Students were allowed to leave after the party, so Bev brought Brooke home and Jerry had to get back to work.  We took a few more pictures to document this big day, then spent the rest of the day playing and having fun.
We have had a great year at Daulton, and I am so proud of Brooke for the incredible student, friend, and learner she has become :) Mrs. Hickerson had nothing but positive things to say about our girl, and we couldn't be more proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment