Wednesday, February 6, 2019

new beginnings

The youth theme for the year is, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." Since we planned this event for February, it only seemed fitting to make the whole evening about hearts and love :) I have two new counselors, and I asked my second counselor to take the lead on planning everything since she works with the Beehives.  She is awesome and really did a great job planning the program. The Young Women were involved with the theme, introducing the class symbols, and then my counselor (Sandee) introduced the three new Beehives and a new girl that recently moved into our ward. My secretary spoke about Personal Progress and shared a beautiful video that I had never seen before.  It featured two girls in Ukraine that were inactive, then as a result of working on Personal Progress, were able to reactive their families.  It really brought the Spirit to the meeting, and I loved the reminder about this inspired program's importance.  I then introduced the 2019 youth theme.  This was a hard message for me to prepare because of the things our girls are struggling with right now.  I worried that I would come across as judgmental or too harsh when I spoke about keeping the commandments, but in the end, I knew that I had to preach truth.  I pulled my remarks from several different conference talks, incorporated a video from the LDS media resources, and ended with a song from the new youth album.  I was my normal emotional self, but I really think that they felt something, which was all I could have possibly hoped for.

I truly love my girls so much, and it has been such an emotional few months as I learn about the things they are struggling with. I tried to testify to them that they first need to come to know their Savior, because until we know Him and love Him, we won't feel the motivation to keep all the commandments that He has set for us.  When we have confidence in Him and who He is, it is no longer a burden to follow those commandments.  I know that our Father in Heaven loves those girls, as do I. As a gift, we gave the girls a famed print of the theme so that they can have a daily reminder of the importance of loving Him, and keeping His commandments.
The Bishop gave the closing remarks, and totally hit it out of the park.  He perfectly tied everything together, and bore a powerful testimony. He shared a story that he heard on his mission about a man asked to push against a rock.  I looked online to find the story since I couldn't remember all the details, and it is often referred to as "The Unmoved Rock".  I had never heard it before, but he related it to the young women about how they may not understand why they are asked to do certain things in the church (ie: Personal Progress), or keep certain commandments, but it is all for a greater purpose.  When we simply follow what we are asked to do (like the man who was asked to push against the rock), we need not get discouraged if we don't actually move the rock (that was never the goal), because we are strengthened in the process.  There is someone (our Savior) who will move the rock for us, we just have to do as He asks.  I should really type out the whole story here, but I am feeling too lazy for that, haha.  It really was the perfect ending, and I was so grateful for how the evening came together.
We had all of these decorations already because the Stake always assigns us to decorate for the February dance!  Sandee made those beautiful (and delicious) cookies, I brought chocolate covered strawberries, and a few leaders brought fresh fruit and dip.
My beautiful young women!  I was so thrilled and excited that we had 17 of our 20 girls in attendance!  At times, I feel overwhelmed with the mantle I have with these girls, but I love working with them and seeing them grow and mature every year.

And Colbster was our sweet helper!  We always set up in the morning so I don't have to stress about it all day, and Colby wanted to decorate the gym with a few hearts as well, haha.  While I was up on the ladder hanging the lanterns, he asked me to hook this random hook/strap thing he had found onto the projector screen.  I literally had never thought about pulling that screen down, and it was the perfect white backdrop for the lanterns.  I could have kissed that sweet boy!
I called my parents on the way home and gave them the rundown of the evening because they had been praying so hard for me!  I was nervous about my speaking portion, was having a terrible nervous stomach all afternoon, and was having technical issues right before I left my house.  I know those prayers helped because everything worked out, and I am so grateful that my parents love me so much :) I know that Heavenly Father was aware of my feelings as well, and allowed me to share the message that I had prepared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment