Tuesday, February 5, 2019

blog books

This may be silly, but these books bring me SO much happiness!  I started this blog at the end of 2009 when we moved to Miami, and blogged about some of our adventures in Florida.  When Brooke was born in 2013, I had a lot more to blog about, and I really started to cherish the things that I was documenting.  I did some research before finally using Blurb to print the blog posts from 2009 to 2014.  I loved the books, and the process was seemingly easy.  Life became a lot busier when Colby was born in 2015, but I was determined to keep the blog alive because I loved having everything documented.  I look back at pictures fairly regularly on my computer, but I love blogger because my thoughts are written down about those beloved pictures as well.

When I tried to create the 2015 book, I quickly realized that Blurb changed their format and I was no longer able to "slurp" all the date from my blog easily into book format.  It would import all the pictures and text, but not in book format.  I had to manually set up each page by selecting a format, then drag the text from a menu with ALL the text from my entire blog, and then find all the pictures that went with that blog post.  I spent a few hours on it, then realized how impossible the task really was. There was no way, with over 100 blog posts and easily a thousand pictures, that I could sit and drag and drop pictures and text. That was when I began researching other companies.  The thought of the books not all matching really bothered me, but again, using Blurb just didn't make sense.

I did some research, but could't find another company that could provide what I was looking for.  I wanted my blog entries to appear as they do on blogger, but not waste space by printing one column down the center of the page. I continued blogging well into 2016, but was anxious to get my 2015 and 2016 into book format.

In 2017, I came across a website called Into Real Pages.  The company is based out of the Netherlands, and their whole premise is "getting your blogging life out of intangible digital life and into the real world." The testimonials were spot on to what I was hoping for, and they were the only company I could find with a two column format, making the best use of the page without compromising on the layout of blogger. The only problem was that their website was under construction!  I waited (semi-patiently) for the next year until their site was up and running again.  I began creating that 2015 book and was amazed at how easy the process was.  You literally pick a book style, size, write the introduction, manage the table of contents, select a date range for posts to include, then allow their book creator to do the rest.  It was SUPER easy, and the final product was a 257 page book of priceless memories.  I could have cried when the book was completed so easily!
The book cost about $150, but was worth the money to me.

Then came the waiting, haha.  It took several weeks for the book to arrive, but it was gorgeous. Better than I could have ever imagined.  The only problem was that there was an error with the printing on the spine.  The blog name K & K Meador (+2) came with a series of codes, including %26 and 2B2 in place of the ampersand and each parenthesis. I emailed the company and they apologized profusely and sent me a new copy of the book with the corrected spine.  The new book was much thicker than the first one (despite having all the same pages) so it must have been printed with another printer and on different paper.

I then began working on books for 2016 and 2017.  Again, the process was seamless and the books were perfect when they arrived.  I could have stared at them forever, I was really just so relieved to have printed copies of everything.  Kevin looked at the books with me in bed one night, and we both just talked about how quickly our babies are growing up and about all the fun moments documented on those pages.

Blogging isn't always easy because it's hard to find the time to do it, but it truly is important to me so I hope that I can always make it a priority.  I take SO many pictures, so I have really pared down what I blog about.  I leave the daily stuff to my Instagram posts, but post about the bigger stuff on this blog since I can give the content the attention it deserves.

A few weeks into January, I was able to finish blogging about 2018.  I ordered the book, and after some delivery hiccups, finally received my book a month later.  The shipping could be improved, but I won't complain too much since I am totally in love with the finished products.
Here's to blogging in 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment