Friday, October 28, 2016

trunk or treat

For months, Brooke talked about being Strawberry Shortcake for Halloween.  The Hawkins gave her the cutest dress-up for her birthday, and it was going to be perfect!  I ordered her some red shoes to go with it, and debated ordering a red wig, but chickened out at the last minute.  I wasn't convinced that she would wear it, and I didn't want to waste money. I'm glad I listened to my gut, because she decided that she wanted to be Cinderella instead!  She made this decision probably a week before our Ward Trunk-or-Treat, and since she already had the whole costume, I couldn't say no.  I had been looking for a dog costume for Colby so that he could be Pupcake (Strawberry's dog), but could only find a brown dog costume.  It worked out in my favor since Brooke changed her mind.  He was then "Bruno" from the classic Cinderella movie. 
He didn't want to sit still for a picture though, hahaha.  This picture seriously cracks me up! That kid was determined to just scoot down the driveway, and when Brooke grabbed his tail to keep him in place, I snapped a picture. 
As part of our "family costume", Brooke wanted me to be the fairy godmother, and Kevin to be her prince.  (At first, she wanted him to be Lucifer the car, which is hilarious on so many levels!)  I didn't want to spend a ton on our costumes, but I loved that she was excited about dressing up together.  I had a long purple dress that I wore to wedding, so I bought matching fabric to make my cloak, and pink ribbon for the front.  I found several patterns online, but it took WAY longer than I expected.  I felt like people didn't know who I was supposed to be, but Brooke was happy, so that's all that really mattered to me.
Again, to avoid spending a ton on costumes, we did a makeshift prince costume for Daddy.  He was supposed to make riding boots out of black garbage bags (it actually looked really good during our trial run), but he opted out at the last minute.
Brooke and Brooks are the cutest little friends.  They have kind of a love/hate relationship, hahaha.  Both kids are pretty headstrong, so I laugh at their disagreements.  Like, when they were fighting over whose name started with a B, hahaha!
This picture is not from the ward party, but Grandma and Papa came over on the actual Halloween evening, so I wanted to document it :)  I made a big pot of soup and Rhodes rolls, which we enjoyed together.  They helped pass out candy while we took the kids trick or treating down a few streets.  Overall, it was a great Halloween, and we had lots of trick or treaters, just like last year!

No comments:

Post a Comment