Monday, February 6, 2017

san antonio/austin

Kevin had a work trip scheduled for the first week in February, and we decided to make it a family affair.  We drove down on a Thursday morning, and after dropping Kevin off at work, I took the kids over to the hotel to check in.  Doing it alone was a bit of an adventure, but we did it, then headed out for some fun. I took them to Hemisfair Park, which was super cool!  I tired to take Brooke there last time we were in San Antonio, but it was under construction. Parts of it were still under construction, but the parts that were open were awesome. It was pretty empty when we arrived, but after about 30 minutes, a school trip arrived and took over everything.  That was our cue to head to lunch, haha.
After lunch, we headed back to the hotel to do a little swimming.  It was the smallest hotel pool I had ever seen, but the kids thought it was amazing. I love how easily impressed kids can be :)  Colby was so happy to sit on the edge of the pool and kick his little chubby legs. Seeing his reaction to the water made me really excited for the upcoming pool season.
We didn't swim long since we had planned to go out to dinner with the San Antonio store manager (who used to be the assistant manager at Kevin's store).  He recommended a place called The Luxury, and it had such a cool vibe.  Located right across from an art museum, it is basically a large covered patio with picnic tables and these cool swings looking over the river.  The food was SO good, and the kids were able to play around while we ate.  We then walked along the river until it was getting late. It was a busy, but fun day!
The next day, I took the kids to a place called The Do-seum.  Kind of like a museum, but more hands-on. It was so expensive since Colby wasn't free, but we spent hours there, so I guess it was worth it.  Oh, and it was WAY colder than we had anticipated, which made me reluctant to take them to another park.  Colby fell asleep in the 10 minutes it took to get there, so Brooke and I hung out (quietly) for over an hour so the little man could get some rest.
They had a huge play city with a grocery store, butcher shop, doctor's office, bank, vet's office, construction site, airport, car wash, mechanic shop, and post office.  I have seen lots of these play cities at different children's museums, but this was by far the coolest!  Brooke's favorite was the veterinary clinic.  She put the vest on and got right to work.  She was a little bossy to the other kids who came in, so I had to tell her to relax a bit.
We ate at the museum, then headed for a little drive so Colby could nap.  Brooke ended up falling asleep as well, so I just drove over to Certifit where we were picking Kevin up.  Once he was done with work, we headed to Austin.  We had planned to see our friends Lucas and Camilla (and their kids).  Lucas was one of Kevin's mission friends, who he later roomed with at BYU.  Kevin has always admired Lucas, and we were excited to stay with them in their home.  Brooke had a lot of fun playing with the kids, and we even tried to let Brooke sleep on bunk beds with their 4 year old Ruby. She woke up shortly after going to bed, and wanted to "lay close to us", but it was worth a try.

The adults stayed up late talking, which I sort of regretted when Colby was up for the next few hours. Long story short, I was pretty tired the next day!  We had breakfast burritos, then headed to an indoor tumbling park. It was super crowded, but the kids loved it!  Colby liked jumping on this giant ball.
Then it was time to make the drive home!  I was craving a smoothie, so we made a pit stop at Jamba Juice, then made an impromptu stop at Jimmy Johns for some chocolate chip cookies, haha. The first few hours of the drive were great because Colby was asleep, but the last 45 minutes were rather tortuous.  He kept doing his high-pitched screaming, and nothing we did could make him stop!  We had planned on driving to Rudy's to pick up food for the weekend, but I told Kevin to drive us straight home because I couldn't stay an extra moment longer in the car with Colby acting like a nut!
At home, I started laundry and bathed the kids while Kevin went to Rudy's.  Once he was home with that deliciousness, we dug in, relaxed a bit, then headed to bed.  It was a busy four days, but so fun to do something out of the ordinary. I love little trips like this because I feel like I can just enjoy my kids rather than worrying about getting things done around the house, etc.  I always come home pretty tired, but it's worth it for all the memories we make.

No comments:

Post a Comment