Saturday, February 25, 2017

a day with the young women

The last weekend in February was our annual YW basketball tournament.  We only had one practice this year based on our activity schedule, and availability of the gym.  These girls always seem to step up and do well, though. One of our girls (Emily) is on her school team, so she really helps hold our team together.  It was a round robin style tournament, and although we won our first game, the rest of the tournament was downhill from there.  We barely lost the second game, but the third game was the real kicker.  We have a Spanish ward in our Stake that is infamous for their aggressive style and constant fouling.  I don't think it's always intentional, but they are just more aggressive and in your face.  Our girls were really frustrated by the whole thing, and the fact that fouls weren't being called.  I was on the sidelines screaming a ton, but I think the girls learned a lot, and still had fun as a team.
I was home from the tournament by about 1, then had to head to the Stake Dance that evening since our ward was hosting.  The YW were in charge of the decorations, and the YM were in charge of buying the refreshments.  About 15 minutes before I left my house, the YM President's wife stopped by my house with all the refreshments because she said her husband was sick.  I was trying to be understanding, but I couldn't believe that he would dump all that on me at the last minute.  My biggest concern was that she only brought over 2 trays of cookies.  That was definitely not enough, so I began rummaging through my pantry and fridge for something else to bring.  I brought a bunch of fruit, but as Kevin and I drove to the building, I could feel myself getting sick.  All of a sudden, I have nervous stomach issues.  I was freaking out because he was also supposed to be bringing the ladder to hang the decorations, and what if none of the youth showed up to help? I would be totally on my own.  Kevin would be in his meetings, so he couldn't help me either.  I texted the YM President and asked him to please find a replacement because I was worried about everything getting done in time when we had only given ourselves an hour to set up.

Well, long story short, I walked into the gym to find one of my YW there ready to help, a few more showed up, and then 5 or 6 kids from other wards stopped into the gym and asked if we needed help. Seriously, those kids saved me!  I love that instead of just hanging out with their friends, they offered to help. We found a ladder, and everything came together so smoothly.  I also made a super cute heart banner that was along the stage, but I didn't get a picture I guess.
Some of my cute helpers...
A few people helped get the fruit ready, and we were ready to go by 7 PM when the dance started.  By 7:45, both trays of cookies were gone (I knew that was never going to be enough), so Kevin went to the store to buy a bunch of stuff. He had been pretty mad on the way to the church because he thought it was a punk move to drop everything on me like that.  Kevin tried to tell me that I just needed to let it fail if there wasn't enough food.  But that makes me look bad, and I hate looking unprepared and like I don't have it all together.  Our Bishop ended up hanging out in the kitchen with me to help and because I was the only one there representing our ward.  Actually, another YM leader ended up coming about 7:15, but he made a comment like "It looks like you have everything done", and I didn't see him the rest of the night.
In the end, it was a great night.  I tried to not complain (although this post is full of complaints!) because seriously Heavenly Father made sure that I had enough youth to help, Kevin was there to assist me, and my stomach issues went away.  That's a lot of things to be grateful for :)

The next morning, I had church meetings, so Kevin was bringing the kids to church.  By 9:30, they still weren't there, so I texted Kevin to make sure everything was okay.  He texted back "diarrhea".  I laughed to myself and asked if it was him or Brooke, haha.  He said it was him, but that he was feeling better and was on his way.  Once at church, we took Brooke to primary, and Kevin said that he had made a mistake in drinking water on the way to church.  His stomach was upset again, and he needed to go back home.  He took Colby, and when Brooke and I got home later, him and Colby were fast asleep.  He woke up hours later, threw up, and was feeling miserable.  I (somewhat jokingly) told him that's what he got for saying that the YW President was a punk for being sick.  I started feeling yucky a few hours later, which was really bad timing since Kevin was dead in bed, I had the missionaries coming for dinner, and I also had BYD that night.  It seriously was a crazy day, but I survived!  The BYD was at the Bishop's house (our neighbor), so Joanna watched the kids for me while I was downstairs at the BYD.

No comments:

Post a Comment