Saturday, April 2, 2016

easter sunday

Throughout the whole month of March, I had been reading Brooke's Easter books to her, trying to teach her about the true meaning of Easter. We would talk about how Jesus died for us, but that he lived again.  Then I would say, "So, why do we celebrate Easter", and she would say, "I don't know Mama."  Well, I tried, haha.  One day, as I was watching video clips for an Easter personal progress activity I was planning, Brooke sat in my lap.  She was watching as it showed pictures of the stakes they drove through the Savior's hands, and as they showed them whipping the Savior.  The videos weren't graphic, but I wondered if I should allow Brooke to watch.  She immediately asked me "What are they doing to that man?', and "What are those sharp things?"  In that moment, the Spirit was so strong.  Children really are so innocent, and she was so worried about the cruelly she saw portrayed.  I told her that they were unkind to the Savior, and that he died for each of us.  I understand that she is only 2, but since she was asking, I wanted to try to explain it to her.  I hope that as she grows older, she will come to understand the sacrifice the Savior made for each one of us.  

But until then, she knows that Easter also means Easter baskets and Easter egg hunts.  I'm not sure how all this commercialization ties into the true meaning of Easter, but we had fun with it. When she woke up in the morning, I asked her if she thought the Easter bunny came to our house and she was really anxious to go downstairs and find out...
She was interested in everything, but was most happy about that bubble gun.  It was freezing outside, but I did let her open the front door and blow some bubbles outside.  Then she wanted to blow some out the back door as well.  Kevin was with us for a few minutes, but then went back to bed because he was really sick.  He looked like death in the morning, and when he said that he wasn't going to church, I told him that he would have to drive up and get Colby during the third hour since I was teaching the Mia Maids.  He said that maybe his parents could hold Colby, and I told him that I wasn't calling his parents to come hold Colby.  But apparently they were already planning on attending our ward with us, Kevin just failed to mention that.  But it certainly saved the day.  
I dressed my sweet babes in their Easter get-ups, and attempted to take a few pictures before we headed out the door.  That bubble machine really came in handy. 
Colby's chubbiness is so yummy!  I could kiss those cheeks all day.
When we arrived home from church, Kevin was right where we left him...sick in bed.  So, I had lunch with Brooke, let her play with her bubble gun, and we dyed Easter eggs.  I was bummed that Kevin missed out on the fun, but when you are sick, you are sick. 
Once Kevin woke from his slumber, Brooke was excited to show him her masterpieces :)

No comments:

Post a Comment