Thursday, January 28, 2016

miami-days 1 and 2

Back in December, Kevin found out that he would need to travel to Miami in January.  He was told that his family could tag along if we wanted :)  Kevin asked me my thoughts, and I wasn't too sure about traveling with a 2.5 month old baby, all staying in one room together, and being with the kiddos all day away from home.  Then there was the expense of it all.  It was a lot to consider.  One night, I came down from putting Brooke to sleep and Kevin informed me that he found round trip flights for $106.  Seriously??  I don't think I have ever flown anywhere for that cheap.  It seemed a shame to not take advantage of great air fare, so we decided to do it.  The company would cover the hotel and Kevin's rental car, but I decided that I wanted my own rental car so that I didn't have to wake up early every morning to take Kevin to work, and have to pick him up again each evening in traffic.  That was a wise choice :)

Packing for me and the kiddos was a lot of work, but I was also really excited for an adventure and a break from the norm.  Kevin dropped me off with the kids while he went to park our car in long-term parking.  He thought I might just wait for him by the ticketing booths so he could help me through security with the kids, but I was feeling ambitious.  And the kids did fabulous!
I made Kevin take my picture when he met up with us because I was pretty proud of myself, haha.  Maybe not a big deal to some people, but I was happy that I could do it on my own. It really was a great age to travel with Colby because he still slept a lot and I could easily carry him in the wrap.
On the plane and ready for our adventure!  Brooke slept the majority of the flight because it was almost 2 hours late in taking off (9:30 pm) and Brooke hadn't napped that day.  I was glad she slept on the flight because once we landed in Miami, got our rental cars, and made it to the hotel, it was almost 2 in the morning.
The first night went smoothly, everyone slept through Kevin getting ready for work, and both kids didn't wake up till like 10 am.  We went to lunch, and headed to Flamingo Gardens, which was only about 15 minutes from where we were staying. (Note: We were staying at the Grand Palms Resort and Spa, which was right next to where our town home was.  The place wasn't fancy by any stretch of the imagination, but the location was perfect!)
The alligator was HUGE!  And the fence was so short.  It was pretty crazy to me, and after a few minutes, I decided that we should move along.  From multiple trips to the everglades, I know that alligators can jump in the air almost twice their length.  An eight foot alligator and a 4 foot fence didn't seem very safe to me.
It was a beautiful day, and not very busy.  I stopped once to nurse Colby outside, and it all just seemed very easy.
Colby enjoyed being outdoors in the 70 degree weather because there was tons to see.
We even got to see them bring the fish cart out and feed all those hungry birds.  I really wanted to ask them if Brooke could throw a few fish, but since they didn't offer, I figured it was maybe against the rules.  Would've been fun though :)
Brooke took a nap in the car on the way back to our hotel, and then we spent some time exploring the grounds at the resort.  Those lions were a favorite of Brooke's. We were basically buying time until Kevin was done with work.  He texted about 6:30 saying that he should be done soon.  Well, he didn't leave till 7:30, which seemed too late to go out to dinner.  Oh, and Kevin said that he felt super sick, like he might have the flu.  Great :(  So, I ordered take-out from an Italian place near by, which Kevin picked up for us so I didn't have to load up the kids.  By the time he made it through traffic, stopped to get medicine, picked up our food, and came to the hotel, it was almost 9!  And Kevin looked like death.  Not exactly how we planned the evening to go.  I was just crossing my fingers that the rest of us wouldn't get sick.   Kevin had chills, so we cranked up the heat in our room and tried to sleep.  The kids surprised me again, and slept so well.  We had two double beds, so Brooke slept by a sick Daddy, and I kept Colby next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment