Monday, April 24, 2023

the Rangers

Baseball season started up in March and Colby was back with the Rangers.  We love his coach and have a great group of boys on the team.  Colby let me have his hat from a few seasons ago, so I was feeling like his #1 fan the night of his first game. 
He had an amazing game that night!! First pitch of his first at-bat: home run!!!  Then he caught a fly ball at third, followed by a double-turned-triple on his second at bat.  What a great way to start the season!
Colby received the game ball and he was so happy, but he did tell me that he "always blushes" when everyone cheers for him.
Papa even made it for the tail end of the game.  (I guess he was confused about the start time.)
Colby had two great hits during his next game, but according to him "they weren't that great because I only got to first." But the other team was just really great at fielding!  Colby's team really struggled batting, so our at bats were quite short. 
He took a turn playing catcher as well...
Highlights from his next game included: several solid hits (and RBIs), a home run with two RBIs, and a great out at first!  He also nearly outran the kid in front of him in his eagerness to get a run, but thankfully he slowed down just enough to let him tag the base first. 
Another Monday night at the fields! Running to and from all the practices can sometimes feel like a beat down, but the games don't at all.  I honestly love every minute. 
The mom who usually keeps the books asked if I wanted to learn how since she knew she was going to miss a few games.  Although I didn't really have a desire to do it, I felt like it wasn't fair to make her do it all the time, so I agreed.  It was kinda stressful to document everything, especially because I like to take lots of pictures and videos, but I asked Brooke to get some pics of the cute catcher and she nailed it!
We had a random Wednesday night make-up game, and unfortunately our coach was out of town. The assistant coach had the hardest time pitching to the kids, but Colby managed to get a few good hits. And I managed to keep up with the scorebook, so I consider that a success. 
Next game: Single, Double, then a Triple!  The Rangers dominated the game 12-1, which was really fun to watch. 
We were nearing the end of the season, and the boys were playing so well together.  Colby hit another home run, and two solid singles.  I kept the books again, and thankfully, it's less stressful than it used to be.
Colby received another game ball for his home run, and since Coach had me write his name on the ball, I knew he was getting it and could record the whole thing. 
Colby with a few of his teammates :) 
The boy on the right is Garrett, the coach's son, but I can't remember the other boy's name. (One of the many reasons I should stay current with this blog and not try to catch up a year later.)

Monday night games are my favorite because they get to play under the lights!  Colby hit a few singles, a pop-up which he thought was foul (tagged out at first), and got an amazing out at first.  They lost by one run (again), so it was stressful for us parents that knew the score, but it was exciting to watch.
Colby loved that Grandma came to his last game of the season :)
Overall, it was another great season with the Rangers and a great experience for Colby.  He always loved going to practice, which was held twice per week, and he especially loved when they would go to the Skills Center for batting practice.  It is so fun to see him progress in his skills and to have fun in the process.  Baseball has been a great sport for him and I hope he sticks with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment