Monday, July 25, 2022

san diego-day 3

My kids started off the day with an early morning dip in the pool.  Our kids were super excited about Music in the Park the night before, but once they found out that the cousins weren't coming, they were less than thrilled.  I knew that the cousins were only swimming for 20 minutes then heading to bed, but to my kids, it just didn't seem fair. In an effort to diffuse the situation, I promised a swim the next morning, and I chose to stay true to my word.  Must be rough being a kid, haha. 
We spent the rest of the day at La Jolla Shores with Jeffrey and his family.  It was overcast, but still beautiful. 
The kids were so excited to get out there and boogie board!
Brooke was a boogie-boarding machine!  I was just so glad that Kevin asked me to order her a wet because it made a HUGE difference!  The water was pretty chilly, but she stayed out there forever thanks to her new suit :)
She was also a big fan of making drip castles...
This cousin time was so sweet to witness.  It's hard to think that these kids haven't been together in nearly 3 years. 
We all ventured into the great unknown to attempt to swim with the leopard sharks.  Colby was pretty freaked out as I guided him on a boogie board, but I saw a beautiful spotted one swim right in front of me!  Supposedly they are harmless, but when the thing is 4 feet long, it's a bit eerie. I don't think Colby ever saw one, but Brooke says that she saw one in a passing wave.  They definitely weren't as easy to spot as I imagined, but it might've had to do with our lack of face snorkels.  One nice family offered to let us use theirs, but I thought that might be overstepping their generosity :)
We went back to our spot for lunch and a seagull straight up stole Owen's sandwich out of his hand!  Shortly after, Kevin got pooped on by a seagull!  Thank goodness he was wearing a hat, but we were pretty anti-seagull at that point!
The rest of the afternoon was spent playing pickle and baseball, chatting while the kids buried themselves in the sand, and shell hunting. 
The Griffiths (and Mom) spent the day at Sesame Place and Dad stayed home, but the rest of us enjoyed our first full day at the beach. I somehow managed to burn my neck/chest, which was ironic because Kimberly specifically reminded us not to get sunburned before family pictures the next morning, but thankfully it wasn't too bad. 
Jeffrey grilled burgers for us when we arrived back at the house, and naturally we needed to dip in the pool to "get all the sand off our bodies." 
Not a bad way to end day three!!

No comments:

Post a Comment