Sunday, March 8, 2020

s'mores on the shores

After church, we ate a quick lunch and headed upstairs to watch a movie and relax.  I kept falling asleep, so eventually moved myself into Colby's bed to get a better rest. It was seriously divine.  I can't remember the last time I took a Sunday nap, but I decided that I should make this more of a regular occurrence. When I woke up, it was 3 and Kevin was supposed to be leaving for a High Council meeting. I rushed out to the loft, only to find out that his meeting was cancelled.  He made some comment that we should go roast marshmallows at the lake.  I assumed he was kidding, but when we started talking more seriously about what we should do, he again said his idea of "S'mores on the Shores."  

The kids were ecstatic about the idea, so we packed all the supplies for s'mores, along with our camp stove and the ingredients for some pasta with parmesan and olives. As Kevin loaded the car with hammocks and the like, Colby decided to bring his stick that "is the perfect fishing pole". I love his creativity and the fact that he talks about going fishing ALL THE TIME!  

Once we parked, we headed straight to the water. It was a super windy day, so his string kept going right back to the shore, but that didn't keep him from casting it into the water a hundred times :)  The smile on his face makes my Mama heart so happy. 
Brooke also found a huge stick, and used it to rescue Colby's string that inevitably fell off his "fishing pole".  She is such a good Sissy!  I was also loving her style :)  She normally stays in her church dress all day, but I told her she needed to change for this outing.  She put on her valentine pants and shirt, then accessorized with the scarf and headband. She definitely has a style of her own, and loves to pile on the matching accessories.  As a result, I lovingly called her Miss Valentine all night.
We took our time swinging, snuggling, and playing before making dinner. 
Colby quickly spoke up to light the match for the stove, and was determined to do it independently. I adore how much he wants to be involved in everything we are doing.  I think he likes feeling like a big kid :)

As our pasta cooked, Kevin and I took a turn in the hammock as we watched our littles run back and forth to the water.  At one point, Colby ran back to the table for something.  I asked what he was rifling through the bags for, and he said something to the effect of, "What? I'm looking for the marshmallows."  Hahaha. You need to ask first, little dude!  I did let them eat one or two, but didn't want them to completely spoil their dinner. 
Dinner was tasty, and it was pretty fun to sit near the lake while we ate!  We made s'mores, add WAY too much chocolate, and finally packed up and went home. This might become a new tradition for us!!  Next time, we will maybe invite friends to join us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment