Sunday, March 15, 2020

daddy's boy

When it's bedtime, or if he's hurt, he wants his Mama.  But in general, he wants to be doing whatever his Daddy is doing. Seeing his adoration for Kevin is nothing short or adorable. Today, we headed to Flower Mound to tinker with the boat's sound system.  I felt like the sound system was perfectly fine, but according to Kevin, we needed a new amplifier and subwoofer. While Kevin worked in that compartment, his little sidekick climbed right on in, hahaha. I took a few pictures before Colby crawled out and handed Kevin whatever tools he was needing. 
We didn't head home until almost 9:30, which meant that we didn't get home and into bed till nearly 11.  Since church was done at home the next day, we were all able to sleep in and I finally understood what country songs refer to as "easy like Sunday morning." Normally, it's a busy morning getting last minute lessons ready, getting kids ready, and traveling to and from church. Having church at home means that we were able to fix breakfast together, hold our own family study, play together, watch a movie, and enjoy cooking together.

Brooke and I were upstairs finishing a sewing project, so the boys prepared the chicken for the smoker.  Again, I love seeing that Colby wants to help his Daddy with whatever he is doing.  Colby is an excellent kitchen helper, and I feel like he's learning great skills that will help him his whole life!

They prepared a parmesan rub, rolled the chicken in it, and got the smoker going :)
While the chicken cooked, I searched the pantry for some sides.  We normally have instant mashed potatoes on hand, but I stopped buying them since they don't contain the best ingredients. I pulled out our normal Jasmine rice, but then noticed the Arborio rice sitting next to it. Since certain grocery store shelves are basically empty (thanks, COVID-19),  I couldn't find more Jasmine rice and instead bought Arborio rice.  I recalled a Parmesan Risotto recipe I used to love, and since it called for arborio rice, I knew I would use it.

So, I searched through my recipe books until I found the one I was thinking of. I had all the ingredients, so that was a win!  My mouth was watering just thinking about the creamy risotto with parmesan and peas. But then I nearly ruined it!!  As I was adding the salt and pepper, I pulled out the tablespoon instead of the teaspoon, which meant that I added 1T of salt and 3 T of pepper, haha.  It was a bit pot of risotto so the  extra pepper didn't bother me at all, but it was pretty salty :/

But look at this face...
He was so proud of the chicken he cooked with his Daddy, and I loved watching the boys work together.  This whole Sunday cooking is quickly becoming my favorite tradition.  Honestly, Sunday used to be a day for quick and easy meals because we had a lot of church commitments, but now that we have more free time, this seems like the perfect way to use it.  Cooking together is such quality time and the kids are also learning great skills. Brooke is helpful as well, but she doesn't seem to love it quite as much as Colby does. She's more into baking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment