Friday, March 27, 2020

beautiful day for bluebonnets

I love taking these annual bluebonnet pictures, but my go-to spots keep disappearing due to construction! Since we hadn't been out driving much due to COVID-19, I wasn't even sure where the good patches were this year.  Thankfully, a few friends posted their pics and it motivated me to get out and take ours. Supposedly, there was a great patch in Cedar Hill, so we actually got ready and headed out.  Brooke was delighted to wear her new pink dress, and although Colby was less than thrilled about a shirt with buttons, he was a great sport.  We drove around forever trying to find the spot my friend used, but it was nowhere in sight.  I eventually went back to a neighborhood entrance along Lakeridge Parkway that we had already passed.  Another family had just parked to do the same thing, so I offered to take a family picture of them and they returned the favor for us...
I absolutely ADORE these pictures of Colby.  He was giving me such forced smiles at the beginning, but I eventually captured these sweet moments.
Brooke was giving mega-cheese smiles at first, but I loved her enthusiasm and inner happiness.
And of course a little sass..
While I was getting Brooke's individual shots, Colby tried to sneak into the background, haha.
Then came the real gems.  I was getting so frustrated that they both wouldn't give normal smiles at the same time, but when I started taking more of the candid shots, I was a happier Mama.  I have to remind myself that I always like the candid ones better anyway, so I don't need to stress about perfectly posed portraits.
When smiles started getting fake again, I made some comment about giving them a wet willie.  They had no idea what that was, and my explanation had them cracking up.  Of course, they kept trying to do it to each other, and the pictures got better and better :)
I feel SO grateful for these sweet kids and feel forever lucky to be their Mama.
Oh, and Brooke wanted to bring her Easter basket along with her little lamb, "since they both matched her dress."  They did indeed, and she was so happy about it all.
I convinced the kids to take one more selfie before heading out and leaving that beautiful hillside.  I mean, look at those flowers??  I love the fact that they just grow wild along the freeways and along random streets throughout the area.
You can't pick the bluebonnets (it's our state flower), but you CAN pick all the other beautiful wildflowers, so that's exactly what the kids did. Colby then gifted his tiny bouquet to me and my heart melted.
Until next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment