Tuesday, September 3, 2019

art contest

About one week into the new school year, the Principal sent out an email about an art contest the PTA was instigating.  They redid the teacher's lounge over the summer, and wanted new artwork to grace those walls.  The theme was "Thanks for helping us grow!", and one winner would be selected from each grade level.

That afternoon, I asked Brooke if she wanted to participate.  She didn't seem really excited about it, but I knew it was because she just wanted to go jump on the trampoline with Colby :)  After receiving a few more emails about it, I decided to ask Brooke again. It seemed like such a fun opportunity, and something that she would normally be all over :) She decided that she DID want to participate, especially when we discussed ideas and I mentioned that she could put jewels in her flowers!

I grabbed the jewels and she got right to work. She drew each little flower, then glued those jewels on just the way she wanted them :)  When she grabbed a colored pencil to start coloring the sky, I quickly stopped her.  I knew that was going to take FOREVER, and it was almost dinner and time for bed.  I dug though the cupboard for my old art chalks, and again, she was SO excited to use something new.  On a separate sheet of paper, I showed her how to use the art chalks, and she did a beautiful job!  A few times, she asked for my help so she could finish quickly, but I told her that it had to be completely her work since it was for a contest.  

Obviously, I'm biased, but I thought it was beautiful!
She was really proud of her work, which is all that matters!  She asked me multiple times if I thought she would win the contest, but I told her that I had no idea.  I had no idea how many first graders even entered the contest, but I tried to talk with her about how proud I was that she put herself out there and did her very best work.
All submissions were due the Thursday before Labor Day, and early the next week, Brooke asked when we would find out if she won, haha. I gave it a few days, and then I asked the receptionist as I checked in one morning at the school office. She looked at Brooke and said, "Yes, they announced the winners on the PTA Facebook page yesterday afternoon (which I didn't know about), and I think you were one of the winners."  I instantly was upset that she said that without being certain because I could tell that Brooke's hopes were definitely high.  She took a few minutes looking it up on her phone, but confirmed that Brooke Meador was indeed the First Grade winner.  I wanted to scream I was so excited.  Seeing the look on Brooke's face was priceless.  She was beaming as we walked down the hall to her class.  I asked if she wanted to call Daddy, and she did.  As soon as he answered, she said (in the sweetest voice), "Guess what, Daddy?  I won the art contest." They talked for a few more minutes and it was all incredibly sweet.

I was so proud of her, but I emphasized that I was mostly proud that she even tried.  I wanted to do something special for her to celebrate, and I was kicking myself that I hadn't bought the cute paint palette charm we saw over the weekend to go on her charm bracelet.  I called around to a few local stores, and nobody sold them.  I ordered the charm on amazon, but am still waiting for it to arrive, haha. I know she'll be excited :)

No comments:

Post a Comment