Sunday, July 3, 2016

surfer girl

I am so stinkin' proud of this cute girl!!  Kevin has been talking about surfing with Brooke since she was probably a newborn. Last summer, he wanted to try, but I felt like she was too little.  This year, I gave him the green light.  Brooke seemed excited about the idea, but when it came down to it, she seemed pretty nervous.  One particular boat outing, it was just our family and G & G Meador.  Brooke and Kevin were swimming out behind the boat, and Brooke was jumping off the swim step into Kevin's arms.  She seemed so comfortable and confident in the water, so I think Kevin decided to seize the moment.  He asked us to pass him the rope and the board, and she seemed ready for the adventure.  I took a million pictures of the process because I knew this was an epic moment for Kevin.
Can I just say that Kevin is such a fabulous Daddy for his girl. He is so patient and sweet in the way he interacts with her.  I hope that she always has a special connection with him, even though I love that she needs her Mama as well.
Kevin made it look super easy to get up while holding on to a toddler.  Brooke seemed to be having fun at first, but then she had a look of panic on her face, so I signaled for Kevin to be done.  He made a gradual fall, but I guess Brooke seemed pretty concerned that the boat was so far away from them.  Kevin assured her that she simply needed to say, "Papa, come back and get me", and he would turn the boat right around and get them.
When she got on the boat, we were all cheering for her and congratulating her, which made her feel pretty special.  Jerry commented that she should give her Daddy a big hug, and I was able to capture this picture of a sweet, sweet moment.  She hasn't wanted to surf since then, so it may be a one-time-deal this summer.  But Kevin's summer has officially been MADE!
Colby has been a champ in the lifejacket, so we are officially a boater family.

No comments:

Post a Comment