Sunday, February 14, 2010

Key Biscayne

A few weeks ago, Kevin and I headed out to Key Biscayne, which is about 5 miles off the coast of Miami. Our friends told us there were fun places to ride bikes, so we loaded up the gear and headed out. The weather was beautiful, and so was Key Biscayne. The State Park had a really nice trail, but it wasn't very long. I think in total it was maybe 2 miles, which was nice since we were in flip flops and swim suits :)

You can also head out to the beach off of the trail, so we parked our bikes and dipped our toes in the water. I always heard people say that the beaches here are warm, but I would have to disagree. Well, granted it is the winter, but the water was a little nippy. But then again, not as cold as the beaches I grew up near, so I am grateful for that.
I almost stepped on this tiny fish. Poor guy was dead, but I had to take a picture because he was kinda cute and super small (hence the comparison with Kevin's foot).

Towards the end of the afternoon we finally found the Cape Florida lighthouse and walked up to the top. The staircase was very narrow up to the lantern room and there were about a million people in the tiny building, including a boy scout troop! It was a cool view from the top, but scary because it was incredibly windy, very high up, and the railing seemed insufficient.

The lighthouse is apparently one of the most celebrated landmarks owned by the State of Florida. This lighthouse is still illuminated, but they built another lighthouse that is more strategically located for guiding the ships.


After the tour, we packed up our bikes and headed home. We were going to stop in South Beach and ride our bikes over to Lincoln road to have some dinner, but it was started raining as we were driving in that direction. Apparently we have bad luck with bikes and rain. We decided to play it safe and eat dinner at home instead :)


2 comments:

  1. I am so excited you sent me your link! I love your bikes they are so cute. I was just talking to your mom yesterday about you, and how you were doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hello! I have to admitt that I'm a little jealous of you guys right now. I love the fact that you get to ride bikes and have picnics on the beach! I'm seriously DONE with winter. I'm glad ya'll have been able to get away from the WH and go exploring. I miss you both SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much! It's still weird that you're not here anymore. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete