Wednesday, November 2, 2022

colby's 7th birthday

Colby really wanted to go to Main Event for his birthday, but there were many things I didn't love about that idea.  First of all, I really dislike Main Event parties. It's so hard to keep track of a bunch of kids, and I don't really feel like the kids have a great chance to interact with everyone anyway.  (Especially in the arcade.) And then there's the expense of it all! Those parties cost at least $300, so Kevin came up with the idea of buying Six Flags passes instead since that would serve our family for the next year.  When he pitched the idea to Colby, he was definitely onboard.

So, we bought the passes in October and made a family date out of it.  It also happened to be Fright Fest, so they had creepy decorations all over the park. 
I had a Stake Relief Society event, so Kevin took the kids early and then I met them whenever I left the church. 
I found them at the teacups...
Our first roller coaster was Runaway Mountain and as we waited, I turned to Kevin and asked if this was even a good "first" ride for the kids.  He said he had no idea, so we were hoping for the best, haha. It was a completely dark ride and was scarier than I anticipated, so I wasn't surprised when Colby said, "I don't want to do ANYTHING like that again" as soon as the ride stopped.  
We enjoyed a few hours together before I had to take Brooke to a birthday party...
Justice League-Battle for Metropolis
Colby loved his one-on-one time with Kevin and was completely spoiled with all the treats :) When they went to get some water, Kevin caved and ended up buying souvenir cups since it was the end of the year and they were only $4 instead of the usual $34.  Needless to say, Colby drank a lot of soda, which meant that they had to take lots of bathroom breaks. 
Our friends gave us their "snack" credits, so the boys also enjoyed these yummy ice cream sandwiches.  Nothing like soda and sweets to make you forget about eating a real dinner, haha.
They stayed until dark, but thankfully left before they were approached by any of the creepy Fright Fest "characters."
On the Sunday before Colby's birthday, we went up to Flower Mound for dinner and dessert with Grandma and Papa.  Papa picked out Colby's gifts this year, and knows his grandson well.  He bought him three plastic cube cases for displaying his game balls, and a hobby kit to build a Chevy truck. 
Colby was very excited about it all!
Brooke wasn't feeling well that afternoon and the cousins were out of town, so as she snuggled on my lap. Colby tore up the backyard in the go-kart.  It's pretty nice when you don't have to take turns with anyone!  He scared me to death on his first few laps, but then Kevin got the speed governor under control.  
My cheesecake-loving boy was eager for dessert, and when I asked if he wanted fresh strawberries or cherry filling on top, he responded, "Can I have a bigger-than-Dad slice, cut in half, and have both fresh raspberries and cherry filling as my toppings?"  Request granted :)
We got home late Sunday night, but the first thing Colby did after school on Monday was put those game balls into his new display cases. 
On Colby's actual birthday, we started the morning off with presents before breakfast.  He was thrilled to get Hungry, Hungry Hippos, which he's been asking about for months.  And I bought the chocolate milk he loves, so he was a happy kid. Presents before breakfast might be a new tradition because its so hard for them to wait ALL day until Kevin is home from work!
Brooke ended up staying home from school, but since I was already planning on going to have lunch with Colby for his birthday, I left Brooke at home by herself for the first time.  She's been asking me when she could stay home by herself, and since I hadn't sent Colby to school with a lunch, this was a necessity.  

I adored lunch with my birthday boy, and I especially enjoyed how excited he was to have me there.  He kept snuggling me and giving me hugs, so I was glad we had that time together.  I also picked up McDonalds for him, so it was an extra special lunch date. 
Nay Nay and Papa FaceTimed that afternoon and sang Happy Birthday to Colby :) 
As I reflected over the last 7 years with Colby, I thought about the cute monthly pictures I used to take of him with his little puppy.  I don't know why I didn't take a yearly picture after his first birthday, but I might start now :) He is just the sweetest and I loved the comparison...
Happy birthday, Colby Boy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment