Wednesday, August 18, 2021

back to school

Back to School Night was moved to the night before school started due to some last minute changes (a virtual option for the first 12 weeks due to a covid surge), but we were all anxious to get to the school and check things out. 

How can this kid be going to Kindergarten??  I mean, he's totally ready, but I'm not sure that I'm ready for this new phase of life.  Both kids will be attending Anna May Daulton Elementary School.
Colby was assigned to Mrs. Salinas and when I found out, I was thrilled.  The morning we found out, I was literally praying that he would get her, or at least someone who is kind and upbeat just like her.  
She really is the best!  
We killed time at the photo booths while waiting for Brooke's time slot to start :)
Brooke was pretty quiet when she met her teachers, but I am sure she will love them and have a great year as a THIRD GRADER!  I just can't believe that.  She has the best attitude about school and told me earlier that day that she wished school had started a month ago, haha. 

She has Mrs. Evans for homeroom, where she shares a desk with her friend, Griffin Peterson...
And Mrs. Howell for math/science...
And on the way home we saw a huge rainbow, so that's got to mean something great, right??
We tried to hurry home, get ready for bed, and read some special books together.  When Brooke saw that I had bought Colby a "Dear Boy" book, she pulled out the "Dear Girl" book I bought for her the year she started Kindergarten.  
We listened to the recording of Mrs. Salinas reading The Night Before Kindergarten, read The Kissing Hand, and then it was time to tuck these kids into bed.  Colby sprinkled his "Ready Confetti" under his pillow to help him sleep...
As I was laying next to him, pondering how time had passed so quickly to this point, Colby rolled over and said, "Do you think this confetti stuff actually works?"  I started laughing and told him that I thought he was almost asleep, so it must be working."

That night, Kevin and I came up with our game plan for the morning.  He was going to wake both kids up around 6:30 and make sure they came down dressed and ready for the day.  I was gonna make their lunches, and get them breakfast once they were downstairs. Well, Brooke was completely ready by 6:59 the next morning, but Colby had a harder time getting out of his bed.  But he sure perked up during breakfast and was cracking me up...
And of course, first day of school pics!  I almost burst into tears when Brooke walked into my room that morning.  She just seemed SO grown up. Although it kind of makes me sad,  I'm grateful for the girl she's becoming.  I hope she always remembers who she is: a kind, beautiful, and incredibly special daughter of God.
And my official Kindergartener! 
These two! 
This is the moment that got me!  I feel intense gratitude for Brooke and Colby and the opportunity I have to be Mama.  And I am SO grateful that they have each other. 
We had to park a block away from the school, but luckily we had given ourselves plenty of time to walk over and get to class. 
It felt good to be back inside the walls of this school...
I shockingly didn't cry when I left Colby's classroom that morning because he just seemed so ready and comfortable.  He waved to his teacher, walked over to give her a hug, then sat down and opened his play-doh.  Kevin and I always say that Colby is "such a good boy", meaning he just has a good heart.  Obviously not perfect, but we sure love him a ton!
Brooke wanted me to walk her in as well, but didn't want me taking pictures.  I tried to play it cool, but just snapped a quick one on my way out :)
The kids were less excited about Day Two pics, but they just looked so cute heading into school. I love that they'll be together the next two years at Daulton.  I'm especially grateful that Brooke was excited to walk Colby to class since parents weren't allowed to do so after the first day.  After school, Colby mentioned that he saw a boy from Brooke's class in the bathroom.  I asked how he knew he was in Brooke's class and he said, "Because he asked me if I was Brooke's little brother."  So it begins, haha. 
A very sweaty after-school pic because he's in love with his new shirt!  I am very anti character apparel, but Colby BEGGED for this shirt and I didn't have the heart to say no.  It made for the perfect "day three" shirt, as well as a bargaining chip to convince him he needed a new haircut for school. 
Love these sweaty kids!  I see this picture and just see a sweet sibling bond, but when I looked back on Instagram and read the caption, I remembered that it hadn't been a happy morning. ("On the way out the door that morning, these two got in a fight and were super mad at each other, but I love that they forgot all about it by the time they saw each other again that afternoon.")  My kids are not perfect, but I love that I normally just remember the good.  And that when I am reminded of the harder moments, the memory is normally overshadowed by the fact that they still do just love each other!
Looking forward to the new school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment