Sunday, April 7, 2019

conference campout

Before we ever made it to Grandma and Papa's for the Conference Campout, Colby was out!!  I guess that's what happens when you go on vacation all week, play in a soccer game, then drive the 45 minutes to your destination. I stayed in the car for another 30 minutes or so to allow Colby time to get some rest.  I figured that would be best for everyone involved :)
We watched the second Saturday session of General Conference together, and the kids did pretty good at keeping quiet.  Grandma had a few activities planned for them, and Kinley and Aubrey asked me to braid their hair.  I love that they enjoy me doing this for them :)
Papa grilled for dinner, and the kids loved having their own table.  It's fun to watch them together, and see their little personalities in action.
Jerry and Bev recently purchased the lot behind their house.  They had part of the fence removed, so the kids had free reign of the new property. To say they had a blast would be an understatement!
The kids kicked those huge balls all over, threw frisbees, played tag, and climbed a few trees with Kevin's help.
I took a few pictures of J & B to document their purchase in its raw form.  They've since put a new fence at their property line, and the kids have all given suggestions of building a tree house, zip line, and swing.
The Peacocks picked up Home Depot craft kits for all of the kids, so we started on that project.  Jeff started first and was helping Colby.  I think Brooke and I started third, but we got ahead of everyone else when they figured out that they had used incorrect pieces.  There was lots of playful teasing, but Brooke and I enjoyed being the first ones done, haha. 
Once all the houses were built, the painting began. They all have such a definite preference for colors, etc, and I loved watching them work.
We ended the evening with flashlight tag and messy s'mores!
The kids stayed up way past their bedtime, but we figured that might increase the chances of them all crashing in the living room together.  This was a first for the kids, and they rocked it!  Colby struggled the most, but I layed next to him for a while until he was sleeping, and he miraculously slept through the night out there.  When I woke up at 7, Kinley and Aubrey were already in Grandma and Papa's room, but my kids were still laying there.  Brooke was awake, but was trying to be the last one "awake" so she could get the quarter I promised to whoever slept in the longest, haha.  I told her that she could join her cousins quietly, and Colby continued to sleep for almost another hour. 
I love this girl so much and love that she was willing to lay quietly for a quarter, haha.  I also love that her beloved "baby cow" is documented :)
Sunday was filled with more exploring, grasshopper holding, tree climbing, and stick collecting. Having the chance to just play and explore all day was wonderful!  The adults also played some badminton, and then Kevin got us all hooked on Kub (a fun yard game which involves throwing wooden pieces).
We watched both sessions of Conference and were spiritually fed.  I had several favorite talks, but I will have to definitely go back and re-listen to some of the talks that I was distracted during.  We made a big deal about sitting down and listening to the prophet, so I hope the kids felt something or at least recognized the importance of our living prophet, President Russell M. Nelson.
I love this tradition of Conference Campouts, and although sometimes we have done them on our own, it's super fun to have cousin and family time!

No comments:

Post a Comment