Thursday, March 21, 2019

cavity

Maybe this is weird to blog about, but it was a big deal to me, so i'm going to!  I had my first cavity of my life and I was really upset about it.  I was pretty proud of the fact that I had never had a cavity, and it was always a great factoid when you play "Never Have I Ever" and games of that nature, haha. Well, last year my dentist commented that I was getting some straining on my bottom wisdom teeth.  When I asked what I should do differently, she recommended just brushing better on those teeth, but it was strange because I've never had that problem before.  

I tried to double my efforts on those teeth, but at my last cleaning, the dentist informed me that it had turned into a cavity on one tooth.  At first I didn't believe her because this was all uncharted territory for me and I thought I would have had dental pain or something. (And I also don't really love the dentist, but I continue to go out of convenience.)  Anyway, she showed me with her instruments that there were definitely spots where it was sticking into my tooth, so we scheduled the filling a few weeks out.  

I had Colby with me during the appointment, and he was such a good boy :) He watched a bit, but I'm glad he was distracted when the dentist gave me the injection which was WAY more painful than I anticipated.  The rest of the process wasn't too terrible, but the numbness didn't wear off for nearly 8 hours!  After it wore off, I was sure that something was wrong because it felt like a big crater in my tooth.  I went back to have it checked out and all was fine, so I just had to get used to this new normal. 

And that is the story of my first cavity.  The dentist took this picture to show me how big the cavity actually was :(

No comments:

Post a Comment