Wednesday, May 9, 2018

better together

Our first date was to a Jack Johnson concert, and we have now come full circle, haha!  Same date, 12 years apart! A lot has happened in the past 12 years, and it was fun to think back on that first date and the feelings that I had.  I was always super impressed with Kevin, and my roommates and I referred to him as a "quality guy" because he was just an all-around great guy.  He claims I ignored him when we met the summer of 2004, which is not true, but his roommate was the one that pursued me. He then dated a girl in my ward, and I spent a lot of time with them during that summer.  They broke up at the end of the summer, but I still saw Kevin around campus the whole next year.  I was always really excited to run into him, but that was about the extent of our relationship.  The next Fall (2005), we had what I call the most awkward breakfast of all time since it involved Kevin, his roommate that I had "dated", me, and the girl he had dated. After breakfast, I told my friend that we were never going to see them again because it was just too weird to be friends after that.

I was wrong, because a few days later, Kevin called to invite me to the concert.  I was pleasantly surprised, and then started trying to listen to Jack's music because I had no idea who he was, haha.  The day of the concert, I tried looking cute in some pointy toe black heels, tight jeans, and a black top.  He picked me up and as soon as we met up with his group of friends, I was immediately self-conscious.  I didn't look like them at all, and the concert was at an outdoor amphitheater, so I looked like an absolute idiot trying to walk down the gravel hill to the concert.  

Thankfully, my poor choice in shoes didn't discourage Kevin from thinking I was fun, because we started hanging out more and more, and we conveniently met up with each other on campus, started playing tennis almost weekly, and went on more official dates.  I really liked Kevin, but there was one major complication!  I had decided that summer that I wanted/needed to serve a mission.  I received my mission call in October, and received my endowments at the temple over Thanksgiving break.  Kevin was very supportive of the whole idea, but I was just confused.  Why was he even wasting time on me when I was leaving on a mission?  

Long story short, we started falling in love by probably December, but I was just so confused.  Why had I felt so good about a mission if I was supposed to stay home and marry Kevin?  We had lots of conversations about it, but Kevin never once pressured me to stay, which was both good and also worrisome.  Did he care if I left?  I wasn't sure where we stood because he didn't say a whole lot.  We did say the "L" word in early December, but again, I wasn't sure what this all meant.

I continued with my mission plan, but we kept dating.  I graduated in December, but hung around to take the GRE before going back to California. Kevin stayed in Utah as well, then flew to San Jose with me to meet my parents, and I then drove him to Bakersfield where he was going to spend Christmas with his family and extended family.  It was a great trip, but as we arrived at his Aunt's house, his ENTIRE family was sitting around in a circle talking, and when we joined them, his Grandpa said, "Okay, we all get to ask Katie 2 questions."  He was obviously joking, but they did ask some questions, and we just spent time together.  When it was time for me to leave, Grandpa said something along the lines of, "Anyone who wants Katie to stay home from her mission, raise your hand!"  It was sweet, but also awkward.  

Kevin and I headed to Macaroni Grill to eat before I needed to make the 4 hour drive back home, only we didn't even end up eating.  We sat in the parking lot and discussed our future.  I finally just asked if he was serious enough about me that he pictured us getting married.  I didn't want to stay home if that wasn't his intention.  He said that he couldn't promise that we were going to get married, but that was where he saw things heading.  I had really strong feelings for Kevin, but I needed that confirmation that he was serious about me and about our relationship.  

The next day was Christmas Eve, and I woke up kind of a mess.  I got a call from the family of a guy I sent on a mission, and they wanted to know if I was getting married to someone else.  I guess their son told them about my lack of letters, or about me dating someone else. It was really awkward, and I told them that I wasn't sure.  I ended up talking with him (totally against the rules), and he was supportive of whatever I decided because he said he felt like I was trying to follow the Spirit.  But in the next few days, his emails changed to him accusing me of following Satan to not go on a mission.  That made it a lot easier to cut him off, haha!

On Christmas Day, I decided that I was going to stay home, so I met with our amazing Bishop and friend, and then spoke with the Stake President.  They "postponed" my mission for 6 months in case I changed my mind, but the rest is history.  I am SO glad that I made that decision because I really was completely in love with Kevin and knew that I would be missing out on a great guy if I left. 

In January, I moved back up to Utah and lived with my Aunt and Uncle in Lindon.  Kevin had friends in management at Abercrombie, so I started working there as an assistant, and later because the store manger.  We were engaged by March, and married by June.  Our first year as newlyweds was spent working (me), going to school (Kevin), and loving life in our little pink Provo house.  Life was good!

And here we are, almost 12 years later!  I wouldn't want to do this life with anyone else, we are definitely better together (a Jack Johnson song)!  Jack's music was basically the soundtrack to our dating experience, so the whole evening was a trip down memory lane. And when Kevin gifted me these tickets for Christmas, he included a note that said, "Feel free to wear your fanciest black shoes."  He's cute :)

No comments:

Post a Comment