Monday, July 3, 2017

fourth of july with friends

We had our annual Fourth of July breakfast (that is never actually on the fourth, haha) with the Arlington gang (minus the Crumptons). This year, we opted for a pot-luck since it's getting a little crazy going out to eat with such a big group and so many littles.  We loved having everyone at our house, and even had some pool time after the breakfast. I am so grateful for these friends!  Not only have we experienced so much together, they really just understand me and genuinely love me and my family. 
 That afternoon, we headed up to Flower Mound for some family time, and ended up taking a nice hot walk down the street. The kids loved the wagon, and Brooke felt pretty strong pulling Colby for such a long distance.
 On the third, we met up with the friends again for the Midlothian fireworks.  They have done this in the past, but we didn't know what we were missing!  Such a great show, and even better company. Maddy is the sweetest to Brooke, which means the world to her.  Look at her little face :)
 The kids rode scooters and bikes, blew bubbles, shot slingshot rocket things (that Brooke now wants), and adorned themselves with glow in the dark jewelry.  Oh, and I can't forget the great slug wipeout!  We brought Colby's ride-on slug since I knew we would be in a paved parking lot.  He was flying across the lot, when all of a sudden, he must have hit a rock or something because he went flying over the front handles.  He had major road rash all over his arm and knee, but luckily calmed down fairly quickly.  The only funny part was that his whole collection of gift cards spilled everywhere and a nice lady picked them up and was like, "Um, here are your cards." She has no idea how much Colby loves those cards, haha.
 Love my patriotic crew...
 And I ADORE these pictures that Danielle took.  The lighting was perfection, and they capture such a perfect night.  I have decided that the Fourth of July might be one of my favorite holidays.  We have started so many fun traditions, but there isn't all the pressure of fancy meals, or gifts.  It's just good, casual fun!
Last, but certainly not least, is this precious moment between Brooke and Finley.  She really wanted to hold him, and as soon as I placed him in her lap, she nestled her nose down on his perfect little face.  I immediately choked up because in that moment, I felt a ping of loss for our baby.  The timing of our new baby would have been so perfect.  Brooke adores babies, and would have been so sweet to a little baby brother or sister.  I still have hope that she will fill that role as big sister again, but in this moment, I felt grateful for friends who would share their babies with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment