Saturday, June 5, 2010

Wasted Bread

This is what happens when you let your bread rise for 6 hours instead of one. So, my Grandma makes the best homemade bread I have ever had. Something about it is just awesome....especially when accompanied by homemade strawberry jam or cherry jelly!

I decided that I would attempt to make my Grandma's bread, so I got her recipe and went to work. It took a little longer than I thought to prepare the dough because I was supposed to halve the recipe, but for some reason, I thought I had already halved it when I wrote it down a month ago. Obviously this was not the case as I was adding 16 cups of flour to my mixer! I had flour EVERYWHERE! The bread was supposed to rise for an hour before I could bake it, and I realized I wasn't gonna have time to finish before we were meeting with a realtor. So, I figured, I would just bake the bread in 2-3 hours when I thought we would be home. By the time we got home, 6 hours had elapsed and the first thing Kevin said when he walked in the door, was "Yep, it overflowed!"

Despite the wasted dough and mess to clean up, the bread turned out well and we have been enjoying yummy toast ever since. Hopefully, after repeated trials, the bread will turn out as perfect and fluffy as when Grandma makes it!!

2 comments:

  1. oh yummy! I want to make bread too! I wish you lived closer! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny! I am drooling just thinking about Grandma's bread and jam... I definitely need to try her recipe too.

    ReplyDelete